Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

danextian
Super User
Super User

Connecting to a local folder via On-Premise Gateway

Hi All,

I've been trying to connect to on-premise data but no luck.

Here's what I did.

>I created a report in Power BI Desktop which source is from a folder within On-Premise folder locally stored in my PC.

>Added a data source via Manage Gateways pointing to that folder

>Tested the connection and it was successful.

>Uploaded the Power BI Desktop model to the service.

>Went to the dataset settings for refresh schedule. But alas, here's what I got

You don't have any gateway installed or configured for the data sources in this dataset. Please install a new personal gateway or configure the data source for an existing data gateway.

Thanks for your help in advance.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

"Tell me and I’ll forget; show me and I may remember; involve me and I’ll understand."
Need Power BI consultation, get in touch with me on LinkedIn or hire me on UpWork.
Learn with me on YouTube @DAXJutsu.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Go into Settings and then Datasets, and find your dataset.

Then where it says Refresh History click on that and then you should be able to view your error.

Power BI Blog

View solution in original post

30 REPLIES 30

Hi @GilbertQ and @Anonymous,

It is now working. I had to add every data source to the gateway. By the way, just a side question, can we connect to a folder/file other than that is inside the On-premises data gateway folder?

"Tell me and I’ll forget; show me and I may remember; involve me and I’ll understand."
Need Power BI consultation, get in touch with me on LinkedIn or hire me on UpWork.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Anything that the computer/server as access too.  If you look at the Gateway screenshot i used, you'll notice i'm connecting it to a shared folder on my network (a dedicated server).

For my setup, i have a dedicated server thats hosting my on-premise data gateway.  We have a number of file share servers around the business, so i've got my gateway connecting into those where required.

Glad it is now working.

And as @Anonymous indicated better to have a dedicated server and connect via a Shared Folder.

Power BI Blog

The Gateway is working fine but alas, this error: There was an error with your dataset. Select the warning icon to view the details.

I selected the warning icon but nothing happened. 😞

Go into Settings and then Datasets, and find your dataset.

Then where it says Refresh History click on that and then you should be able to view your error.

Power BI Blog

Anonymous
Not applicable

Can you screen shot the folder path as shown in the manage gateways?  I'm interested in the screen that looks like this (but your folder or file path):

Capture.PNG

Hi @Anonymous, please see screenshot below:

on-premise.png

Anonymous
Not applicable

Is this the only data source in your file?  Are you also connecting to any other data sources, even if you aren't looking to refresh them?

Hi @Anonymous,

I forgot to mention that I have another data source that is in the same folder but instead of connecting to a folder, Power BI is accessing it directly. But I've already added that source to Manage Gateways.  The report is also connecting to a  Google spreadsheet published to the web. The link is very public and anyone can access it anonymously (the data is not confidential, just the time now). Do i still need to add that to Gateway?

GilbertQ
Super User
Super User

Hi @danextian

Can you please confirm how you accessed the file locally stored on your PC?

Did you access via an Excel or CSV source or via the Folders?

What you need to do is in the Query Editor, if you go into the Advanced Editor does it start with the following:

let
    Source = Folder.Files("C:\Folder Name\Data.csv"),

Power BI Blog

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.