Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

johngaskell

Connecting to a SharePoint List Office 365 error

Unable to connect to SharePoint list error

Details: "SharePoint: Request failed:
<br>OData Version: 3 and 4, Error: The remote server returned an error: (404) Not Found. (Not Found)
<br>OData Version: 4, Error: The remote server returned an error: (404) Not Found. (Not Found)
<br>OData Version: 3, Error: The remote server returned an error: (404) Not Found. (Not Found)"

The list is a very simple list that I setup in order to test Power BI.

It only has 3 fields.

All fields have data.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
GrahamKnowles
Resolver I
Resolver I

Hi John

When trying to connect to the list are you using the full URL of the list, or just linking to the site URL?

i had a similar problem which was caused by trying to link to the full list address.

See thread:

http://community.powerbi.com/t5/Service/PowerBI-linked-to-SharePoint-Lists-require-a-Personal-Gatewa...

View solution in original post

16 REPLIES 16
GregGiamz
Helper I
Helper I

Hey everyone, my colleague had initially linked to the direct sharepoint file link. It was working fine, til only recently (after 1 year), the error came up.

I realized he had used to connect directly to the sharepoint excel file link:

'Source'

=Excel.Workbook(Web.Contents("https://xxx.sharepoint.com/sites/xxx/Shared%20Documents/General/xxx%20Dashboard%20Power%20BI/xxx.xls..."), null, true)

Strangely once I tried to log in to my credentials and tried to troubleshoot and relink the website, it works. Hence, it seems that linking to the sharepoint file weblink directly using Web.Contents works?

Appreciate if anyone knows if this is the correct method, or linking via sharepoint folder would be better.
Thank you!

poojasinghckb
Regular Visitor

While connecting file to power bi, It is intutive to try sharepoint option but instead of that use web option. It worked for me.

Onyeka
Regular Visitor

I have tried incessantly to connect to a particular file located on a sharepoint teamsite., without success. The system guides me 

Hi There,

I have gotten the same error message when trying to connect to a folder in sharepoint so I can connect to a CSV source data.

The message I get is:

Details: "Microsoft.Mashup.Engine1.Library.Resources.HttpResource: Request failed:

OData Version: 3 and 4, Error: The remote server returned an error: (404) Not Found. (Not Found)

OData Version: 4, Error: The remote server returned an error: (404) Not Found. (Not Found)

OData Version: 3, Error: The remote server returned an error: (404) Not Found. (Not Found)"

Any ideas?

I am having this same problem. I am using SPO as the data connector and reducing the URL path to only show the file (excel sheet) yet I am seeing this same message. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

As an alternative, i can use the "website" data connector and gain connectivity with the same URL path. However I am trying to see if I can schedule automatic refreshes off-premise and the website data connector is not allow me to do this.

GrahamKnowles
Resolver I
Resolver I

Hi John

When trying to connect to the list are you using the full URL of the list, or just linking to the site URL?

i had a similar problem which was caused by trying to link to the full list address.

See thread:

http://community.powerbi.com/t5/Service/PowerBI-linked-to-SharePoint-Lists-require-a-Personal-Gatewa...

Anonymous
Not applicable

Details: "Microsoft.Mashup.Engine1.Library.Resources.HttpResource: Request failed:
OData Version: 3 and 4, Error: The remote server returned an error: (404) Not Found. (Not Found)
OData Version: 4, Error: The remote server returned an error: (404) Not Found. (Not Found)
OData Version: 3, Error: The remote server returned an error: (404) Not Found. (Not Found)"

Hi all!!

I found the solution!!!!!!💪

You just need to copy the URL until your principal Folder tree ( for example: sharepoint/sites/demo)

Once you are connected you hace to clock on transform data, and you will see all the documents you have on your sharepoint.

Then you have to filter by the document you want to change and after that you have to click on binary on the content column.

After that you need to click on Table to import the data in to Power BI.

There you have a video to explain it propertly :

This was very helpful. I was able to connect using the steps above.  Thank you for sharing.

Hi, @cgil .

Thanks for sharing.

I try to use the solution and the connection works fine, but I have a complex directory structure, with hundreds of files. To connect to an specific Excel file I need to select it in a long list.

I have to change the source file monthly, and the challenge is big.

Isn't any way to point to an specific directory? We always need to point to the root directory?

Best regards,

Emanuel

At the moment I can't find any other way to point to an specific directory...

@cgil It was getting quite frustrating but thanks to your tipp it worked perfectly, thanks a lot for sharing! 

Hi all!!

I found the solution!!!!!!💪

You just need to copy the URL until your principal Folder tree ( for example: sharepoint/sites/demo)

Once you are connected you hace to clock on transform data, and you will see all the documents you have on your sharepoint.

Then you have to filter by the document you want to change and after that you have to click on binary on the content column.

After that you need to click on Table to import the data in to Power BI.

There you have a video to explain it propertly :

Anonymous
Not applicable

thank you for sharing!

I received this error when I originally was using the '.aspx' link from my team's sharepoint.

As the directions in the blog post above suggest, after I trimmed down the end, it worked.

https://COMPANYWEBSITE.sharepoint.com/teams/QUALITY/Quality%20Assurance/SitePages/Home

All,

I was able to find a solution on my end.

Problem: I was combining both Azure and Excel/SharePoint as datasources for a single report and I realized I could not schedule refreshes once published to the services site. When attempting to edit credentials from the services site, i did not have the ability to make adjustments and select organizational accounts. After investigating, i determined that my problem was associated to my excel data connector and not having the credentials to pull the data while off premise.

Solution: I changed the excel data connector to SharePoint Online Folder and I pointed the connector to the primary URL path for the Teams Site. For example (https://xxx.sharepoint.com/sites/xxx/xxxTeamWorkspac) is what I used and I removed the remaining extension. Once I executed the connector, i was able to gain connectivity, i had exposure to all of the objects/files located on the teams site and it was simply a matter of navigating to my xls files and pulling it in. Once published, i now had the ability to edit the credentials for the dataset, enagle to organizational credentials so that users with the right permissions can access the content.

Hope this helps

I have this error trying to acces from Power BI to the list or to the directory for this link from sharepoint: https://myxyzsite.sharepoint.com/_vti_bin/listdata.svc

When i acces using IE i get the xml code from the list.

ERROR:

OData Version: 3 and 4, Error: The remote server returned an error: (404) Not Found. (Resource not found for the segment '_api'.)
OData Version: 4, Error: The remote server returned an error: (404) Not Found. (Resource not found for the segment '_api'.)
OData Version: 3, Error: The remote server returned an error: (404) Not Found. (Resource not found for the segment '_api'.)"

Any idea?

Thanks.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.