Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

DebbieE
Community Champion
Community Champion

Connecting to a Data set and not being able to see the data model

Ive created a data set and people are using it to work with

However they only get the report view and I dont understand it

Even if you are just using the data, that data model allows you to understand whats going on. Surely people should at least be able to view the data model so they get a feel for what they can do.

Im having to take a screen shot and email it out to people so they get an understanding of the fact table and dimensions and it just seems a bit silly and avoidable.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @DebbieE

Pls update your desktop to the latest version(Version: 2.82.5858.441 64-bit (June 2020)) and you will see the model view.

Best Regards,
Kelly
Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @DebbieE ,

Have you granted access to the users of the reports?How do you share the reports?

Here are references:https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/collaborate-share/service-share-dashboards

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/collaborate-share/service-share-reports

Best Regards,
Kelly

Hi, Thanks for the links but Im not sure you have really understood my initial post

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @DebbieE

Pls update your desktop to the latest version(Version: 2.82.5858.441 64-bit (June 2020)) and you will see the model view.

Best Regards,
Kelly
amitchandak
Super User
Super User

@DebbieE ,The information you have provided is not making the problem clear to me. Can you please explain with an example.

Appreciate your Kudos.

negi007
Community Champion
Community Champion

@DebbieE 

You can refer to below blog for more details on the dataset sharing and using shared dataset. I hope it will guide you in right direction.

https://radacad.com/power-bi-shared-datasets-what-is-it-how-does-it-work-and-why-should-you-care

Appreciate your Kudos

Proud to be a Super User!

Follow me on linkedin

DebbieE
Community Champion
Community Champion

Thats an interesting post but it doesnt answer my problem with it which is this....

When you connect to the data set in Power BI Desktop you see this

Report Only.JPG

Only the report View. No Model view

Just because you are in working on a  deskset to create visuals doesnt mean that its not important to be able to click on the model button to view the model.

Like I said above. Im having to screenshot the model to send to everyone so they have it to look at which is a bit ridiculous. The model is important. It shows how everything connects.  Unfortunately my users are now dissapointed about connecting to a dataset because they dont get to at least see the model. It makes it less usable

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.