Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

cbsalling
Frequent Visitor

Connecting to Spark HD Insight via Direct Query from Desktop Power BI

Is this an option? I can't figure out a way to do it and I would like to develop my report on desktop then push it to the cloud so that it can be shared with other users.

I know you can import the data into the desktop client and then push to the cloud, but doing this creates a static report. I want one that updates along with the databases it's connected to.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@cbsalling Ok. I understand your position, and understand what you are after. I'm merely confirming what you probably already know. There are differences between the Service and Desktop especially as it relates to data sources and connections. This is one of those differences. You can't currently do what you want to in the Desktop because DQ to that source is not supported. 

Depending on priorities, I would assume since it is in the Service, it would just be a matter of time before it is an option in the Desktop, but I don't know for certain.

Looking for more Power BI tips, tricks & tools? Check out PowerBI.tips the site I co-own with Mike Carlo. Also, if you are near SE WI? Join our PUG Milwaukee Brew City PUG

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

@cbsalling It would appear that this is not an option in the Desktop yet, but it is available in the Service as a live connection.. see here

Looking for more Power BI tips, tricks & tools? Check out PowerBI.tips the site I co-own with Mike Carlo. Also, if you are near SE WI? Join our PUG Milwaukee Brew City PUG

@Seth_C_Bauer

I understand that but there are features that are only available in Power BI Desktop that I would like to include in my report. For example, I would like to establish row-level security. So I need to be able to set up a report in the Power BI desktop then push it to the cloud and have it connect via direct query there.

@cbsalling Ok. I understand your position, and understand what you are after. I'm merely confirming what you probably already know. There are differences between the Service and Desktop especially as it relates to data sources and connections. This is one of those differences. You can't currently do what you want to in the Desktop because DQ to that source is not supported. 

Depending on priorities, I would assume since it is in the Service, it would just be a matter of time before it is an option in the Desktop, but I don't know for certain.

@Seth_C_Bauer Got it - thanks for taking the time to respond!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.