cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Microsoft
Microsoft

Connecting to R dataset - unable to connect

Hi! I am getting an error when I try to follow the steps in the doc here https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/desktop-r-scripts

Essentially I would just like to try to run an R script to connect to data. I have installed R in my local machine and I am not entirely sure what I am missing here. Help you be much appreciated!

The error I am getting is:

Details: "Exception of type 'Microsoft.Analytics.Modules.R.ErrorHandling.RException.Primitives.NotValidRDataException' was thrown."

13 REPLIES 13
Highlighted
Helper II
Helper II

Re: Connecting to R dataset - unable to connect

I am getting the same error whie trying to follow the below example, i can run the commands in RStudio but can not pull into power bi

https://www.red-gate.com/simple-talk/sql/bi/power-bi-introduction-working-with-r-scripts-in-power-bi...

Highlighted
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi,

I have the same error here when using below script

= R.Execute("# 'dataset' holds the input data for this script#(lf)write.csv(dataset,""C:/Users/Documents/test2.csv"")",[dataset=#"Renamed Columns"])

Highlighted
Super User III
Super User III

Same here.

Imke Feldmann (The BIccountant)

If you liked my solution, please give it a thumbs up. And if I did answer your question, please mark this post as a solution. Thanks!

How to integrate M-code into your solution -- How to get your questions answered quickly -- How to provide sample data -- Check out more PBI- learning resources here -- Performance Tipps for M-queries

Highlighted
Regular Visitor

It seems to be R-3.6.0 cause this error.

I install R-3.5.3 side by side and configure it to R home directory in PBI Desktop.

Then error message dissapears.

Highlighted
Super User III
Super User III

Thanks, but this didn't resolve the error for me unfortunately.

If you liked my solution, please give it a thumbs up. And if I did answer your question, please mark this post as a solution. Thanks!

How to integrate M-code into your solution -- How to get your questions answered quickly -- How to provide sample data -- Check out more PBI- learning resources here -- Performance Tipps for M-queries

Highlighted
Helper II
Helper II

id installing a lower version also and this didnt resolve it for me either, although i did leave the higher version installed, did that need uninstalling or shoudl i just have had to change the version in power bi (which i did)

Highlighted
Anonymous
Not applicable

Same error here

Highlighted
Super User III
Super User III

Don't think that this will resolve it. 

On 3.6.0 I get the exeption-error from above and if I go down to R Open I receive an empty table (while RStudio shows 2 tables of data).

So this is still buggy, unfortunately.

Highlighted
Regular Visitor

I'm also running into this problem.  Installed earlier version of R (3.5.0), but this did not help.

Helpful resources

Announcements
May 2020 Community Highlights

May 2020 Community Highlights

It’s time for another PBI Community recap!

Community Blog

Community Blog

Visit our Community Blog for articles, guides, and information created by fellow community members.

Using the Community

Using the Community

Need help with the Power BI Community? Our 'Using the Community' support articles are a great place to start.

Galleries

Galleries

Looking for inspiration on how to present your data? Need instructional videos? Check out our Galleries!

Top Solution Authors