Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

jessewysong
Helper III
Helper III

Connecting to Quickbooks Enterprise Desktop

Hello folks,

I spent aorund 5 hours yesterday trying to get Power BI to connect to out Quickbooks Enterprise 2017 company file. 

I have created the ODBC in QB, successfully tested the connection in QB, and accessed tables via Get Data/Other Sources/Microsoft Query in Excel.

However, when I try in Power BI via the Other/ODBC option...

• I have QB Data 64bit QRemote available via the pull down menu.
  • In the Navigator window I can see all the tables
  • But clicking on any table to view the fields casues an error

DataSource.Error: ODBC: ERROR [HYC00] [Microsoft][ODBC Driver Manager] Driver does not support this parameter
Details:
DataSourceKind=Odbc
DataSourcePath=dsn=QuickBooks Data 64-Bit QRemote
OdbcErrors=Table

opening screen.png

after clicking on a table.PNG

I feel like I am so close, and yet so far. If anyone has success connecting Power BI to QB Desktop, I would LOVE to hear from you.

Thank you,

Jesse

11 REPLIES 11
MichaelTomar
Helper I
Helper I

Third-party services can be used to integrate Quickbooks Desktop with Power Bi. For example, you can use the Skyvia cloud service. No coding platform with a freemium version

jakel

What worked for me when I came across this error was going to Data > Get Data > From Other Sources > From Microsoft Query instead of choosing From ODBC.

I also made the change within QB to allow external sources to connect as the admin user. You must be logged in as the admin user and in Single User Mode. Edit > Preferences > Integrated Applications > Company Preferences > (Application Name) Properties > Select Admin

This is using QODBC 20.00.00.336 and Quickbooks 20.0. Microsoft Office 2019(32-bit).

Turtleworks

We are a certified power bi partner https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/partners/turtle-works/

Please reach out to me in regards to

Get Outlook for Android

Sent: Wednesday, June 6, 10:14 PM
Subject: Get More From Quickbooks w/ Power BI VERSION 2
To: Josef Wainz

Fellow QuickBooks SME's,

Are you comfortable with cash flow?
What business metrics do I care about?
What numbers should I pay attention to?
What does cash look like?
Am I making money?
What bills do I have to pay?
Who owes me money?
How are projects doing?
Am I coming in under budget?
What does the sales pipeline look like?

IF YOUR ANSWER IS = YES TO ANY OF THE QUESTIONS ABOVE THEN THEN DASH IS FOR YOU - LEVERAGE QUICKBOOKS AND MICROSOFT POWER BI.

Out of the Box
Don't miss the opportunity to discover answers from every angle:
-Have confidence in what staff is doing.
-Know how much money is outstanding from clients. Determine which customers to call, how much they owe and how late they are.
-Track how projects are unfolding. See how many proposals are out, how much they are worth and to whom they were sent.
Let us show you the proven strength of Power BI modules that connect to QuickBooks to access KPI metrics, dashboards and reports that ease your mind.
Custom Solutions
Consolidate QuickBooks data with data stuck in Excel, online apps or internal systems. Power BI breaks through barriers, pulling together data from hundreds of different locations, into one data model. The consolidated reporting gives you one place to understand your business.
With our understanding of QuickBooks, databases, online services and data modeling, we design and build data sets, models, reports and dashboards to satisfy the situation and need.
From a laptop, tablet or phone, see how cash on hand, payables and receivables add up; know your cashflow position.

Turtle Works LLC 586.206.8960 | email: smohammad@turtle.works
Uncover new insights into cash flow, profitability and customers.

jsiegel

Did you ever resolve this?  I am having the exact same problem.

jeff@siegelsolutions.com

Hey Jeff,

I tried to chase this down a couple of rabbit holes but its not supported. The ODBC that quickbooks provides seems to be hard coded for certain apps. I tried a support thread with the company that makes the ODBC, and they basically told me QuickBooks has been like this for 17 years and counting, and they have zero hope of improvements. 

There is a User Voice request open with Microsoft for this feature, but I have a feeling QB is not going to give up their leverage on their users.

I ended up manually exporting reports in Excel, saving them to Sharepoint, and mashing them up in BI with on premises SQL data before publishing ot the BI web service. 

Details below... going through Access is absurd, and there is no way im going to do that. What pissed me off even more, was even if I wanted to use Excel the Microsoft Query interface you are forced to use is so, so, old. I couldnt even see the full names of my tables in an unreiszable tiny little window. IMO, QuickBooks clearly doesn't care about their desktop customers, and are trying to push everyone to QB online. 

For accessing ODBC data in MS Excel you need to use Get Data/Other Sources/Microsoft Query method. In excel, There is no other method for accessing ODBC data.

You can use MS Access if you want to use.

Please refer below mentioned link for exporting QuickBooks data in MS Access:
http://support.flexquarters.com/esupport/index.php?/Default/Knowledgebase/Article/View/2470

Also, You can use VBA in MS Excel for fetching data into MS Excel.

Please refer below mentioned article for How to Insert/Update/Delete data, The article contains sample VBA code, You can refer below link & can make changes in the query/code as per your requirement:
http://support.flexquarters.com/esupport/index.php?/Knowledgebase/Article/View/2571

It can be done using 3rd party software, QQUBE. So, obviously, there is a way to connect the 2, although I don't know how as I just spent the money and got QQUBE.

Edit: You can use the free utility QB2Excel to create either an Excel workbook with any or all QB database tables, views and reports or an Access database. You have to install the free 32 bit Access database engine to create an Access DB, don't install the 64 bit version because QB2Excel is 32 bit and it won't work.

Extra Edit: you can get much more info here about using QB2Excel to extract the data for use in BI. Hector Garcia is a leading expert on QB and Avi Singh is a respected BI teacher and lately is affiliated with powerpivotpro.com. It's a good lesson for pulling data from QB for use in BI:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WLAoAAqWNSw&index=1&list=PL7GQQXV5Z8ecJouDoG18582tHSbBmlZr5

Can I ask why you are not upgrading to Quickbooks online.  Power BI desktop has a connector for the Quickbooks online.

Elizabeth Tachjian

@Elizabeth—-1st - QuickBooks online is not an “upgrade”. Even Intuit admits that they have not even achieved feature parity with desktop yet. The browser platform (which has seen lots of hours of downtime last month) is a re-write to update their codebase, not aolve new problems.

2nd and most mportantly. I have used the connector you speak of (and advised many who are trying tonuse it) and it is FAR from a solution. The most important thing I can say is that neither Microsoft who has this connecotr in a 3 year BETA are maintaining or supporting this old connector because (I am told) no one is using it. In fact the connector has a couple of serious bugs:
One is that a random QBO invoice outside the timeframe of the datea in the connector will yiled a completly useless connector.
2nd - try to do ANY reporting on Class-doesn’t exisit. That’s just a couple off the top of my head

I have also found that the QODBC connector fails  with PowerBI.  You actually can use the ODBC features in Quickbooks Enterprise to get information into PowerBI.  It is not perfect by a long shot but it is a connection to give you some raw data if you want to fight thru getting the views connected (not obvious how to do it and fragile, but possible).  

I am certified on QQube   and support lots of customers who want to use PowerBI for reporting QuickBooks  information.  Once you get the reports you want, you may want to watch this video  to see how to configure the PowerBI Gateway fro QQUBE.

Ernest
3c2cc3da3a823a09f7a82f1dd6e32955.png

I am in the business of working with QQUBE and PowerBI so

if you are looking for help you can make an appoinment at this link: 
https://calendly.com/ernestcook

jsiegel

Did you get this to work?  I am trying as well and get the exact same message.  jeff@siegelsolutions.com

v-shex-msft
Community Support
Community Support

HI @jessewysong,

Based on screenshots, it mentioned ODBC driver not support specified parameter, have you add any particular parameters in it ?

BTW, you can also vote at below link which told about add support for quickbooks desktop connector:
Quickbooks Desktop Version

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.