Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

asad
Frequent Visitor

Connecting to Oracle Wallet folder

A client has shared a folder containing the following files:

1. cwallet.sso
  2. ewallet.p12
  3. keystroke.jks
  4. ojdbc.properties
  5. sqlnet.ora
  6. tnsnames.ora
  7. truestroke.jks

Supposedly I would be connecting to a db in the cloud. I dont know how to connect to this in Power BI. So far, I have installed Oracle database 19c. I am using the feb 2020 update of Power BI and am on Windows 10 Enterprise. I have bever used Oracle or any other sql servers or databases before. If someone could provide guidance in this regard, it will be highly appreciated. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
asad
Frequent Visitor

I figured it out and am going to write a step by step explanation to anyone who might find it useful in the future.

Step 1: Download the latest Oracle instant client from https://www.oracle.com/database/technologies/instant-client/winx64-64-downloads.html

Step 2: Install/Extract the downloaded folder to C:\instantclient

Step 3: Add this location to Windows path (usually C:\instantclient\instantclient_19_5)

Step 4: Download and extract the wallet contents to /network/admin in the instant client folder

Step 5: Open the wallet file named tnsnames.ora in a text editor and note down the variable name such as db_high

Step 6: In Power BI navigate to Get Data --> Database --> Oracle

Step 7: In the field named server enter the variable name from step 5

Step 8: It will prompt for a username and password, enter each one as provided by owner of the wallet

Step 9: This should give you the database schema, select the desired table names and click transform/load

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
asad
Frequent Visitor

I figured it out and am going to write a step by step explanation to anyone who might find it useful in the future.

Step 1: Download the latest Oracle instant client from https://www.oracle.com/database/technologies/instant-client/winx64-64-downloads.html

Step 2: Install/Extract the downloaded folder to C:\instantclient

Step 3: Add this location to Windows path (usually C:\instantclient\instantclient_19_5)

Step 4: Download and extract the wallet contents to /network/admin in the instant client folder

Step 5: Open the wallet file named tnsnames.ora in a text editor and note down the variable name such as db_high

Step 6: In Power BI navigate to Get Data --> Database --> Oracle

Step 7: In the field named server enter the variable name from step 5

Step 8: It will prompt for a username and password, enter each one as provided by owner of the wallet

Step 9: This should give you the database schema, select the desired table names and click transform/load

amitchandak
Super User
Super User

I don't even know what to put in any field. The installation process is very complicated. Apart from that, I cant understand where to find the server name. I have spent 5 hours looking at all of these posts on microsoft's pages, the pbi community and the oracle pages. I would appreciate a step by step process as I am very hard stuck. Thanks for the answer though

Hi @asad ,

Did you install your oracle and power bi desktop on the same machine? Please try to use localhost as your server name to have a check.

Community Support Team _ Frank
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the others find it more quickly.

And do I need to put all of the wallet files in a specific folder? How would power bi/ my pc know where to look for the wallet. I appreciate your help.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.