Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

dats
Resolver I
Resolver I

Connecting to Datasources and importing data

Hello,

Not sure if the topic belongs here..

I have read that if I want to share a report through a workspace there is a maximum filesize (CSV) that can be imported into Power Bi which is a dataset of 1 Gigabyte. If  I have a source that is bigger than 1 gb can it be imported and later on published if I restrict the import within the query editor?

Does anymoe have experience with connecting PowerBi to an SQL Database or Azure in terms of performance? Does an SQL Database solve the issue of a limited dataset if an import of the data from an SQL Database to PowerBi is used or does Power also create a datset out of the imported data from an sql database?

What is also a valid option for data that exceeds the sharable csv file size

Would be interesting to here some examples.

kr,

dats

3 REPLIES 3
MauriceMecowe
Resolver II
Resolver II

Hi @dats ,

When you import a file into Power BI, the VertiPaq engine applies compression. So if your csv is just over 1 GB, it's worth trying to import it anyways. The average compression ratio of Power BI is between 10:1 and 20:1. 

When using DirectQuery (since you're reading the source) there is no data volume limitation, although performance might suffer severely if you're not slimming down your dataset to what you actually need in your report. When just using Azure SQL as a datasource, make sure to support the database with good indexes to help the performance. If you import from a SQL DB, you'll have the same import limitations as a csv.  

If you have the option of using SSAS in combination with a SQL Server, that would be the easiest in terms of size and performance in my opinion and experience.

Sincerely,
Maurice

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

@MauriceMecowe 

by a ratio of 10:1 does it mean i can have a csv file of a size up to 10 gb?That would be interesting actually

@dats  

If the compressions is at the rate which I mentioned before, you should have a chance of that to work!

Let me know if it works 🙂

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.