Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Connecting multiple date fields to date table

I've created the data model detailed below which works to my knowledge based on the time intelligence functions I've created. I wanted to get feedback on if there is a more efficient method of linking multiple date fields to a date table. 

1.png

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
TomMartens
Super User
Super User

Hey,

no, there is no more efficient way to connect one date table with many facttables. This is how a dimension table (the date table) interactx wiht multiple fact tables (most often the tables on the many side of a relationship) in a star schema (the Power BI data model).

As there are many relationships with the "Cross filter direction" property set to "both", please be aware that this type of setting sometimes happens by accident and sometimes this is unwanted. Please watch your calculations closely as theses settings might interfere with the calculations in an unwanted way and create unexpeted results (speaking mildly).

Hopefully this provides some ideas / insights.

Regards,

Tom

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution, this will help others!

Proud to be a Super User!
I accept Kudos 😉
Hamburg, Germany

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
TomMartens
Super User
Super User

Hey,

no, there is no more efficient way to connect one date table with many facttables. This is how a dimension table (the date table) interactx wiht multiple fact tables (most often the tables on the many side of a relationship) in a star schema (the Power BI data model).

As there are many relationships with the "Cross filter direction" property set to "both", please be aware that this type of setting sometimes happens by accident and sometimes this is unwanted. Please watch your calculations closely as theses settings might interfere with the calculations in an unwanted way and create unexpeted results (speaking mildly).

Hopefully this provides some ideas / insights.

Regards,

Tom

I accept Kudos 😉
Hamburg, Germany
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you for the insight, much appreciated!

When there is information that can/needs be filtered both ways (e.g. I want to slice payments by year to show open opportunities) how would you recommend setting up the data model to avoid the pitfalls you mention?

Hey,

I recommend watching some videos from here: https://www.sqlbi.com/tv/

Here you will find in-depth information, you just have to spend some time.

Regars,
Tom

I accept Kudos 😉
Hamburg, Germany
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks Tom!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.