Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Caitlin_Knox
Advocate III
Advocate III

Connecting directly to SPO List

I’ve brought this scenario to multiple ‘Ask the Experts’ at both Ignite and the recent Data Insights Summit. We do not have any on premise servers and instead use O365/SharePoint to collect our data by way of Lists. These lists are complicated in that they have multiple lookup columns and are inherently tied to several other lists in our environment. Because of this, Power Query has never been an option for us to query this data. What we’ve done in the past is a sort of ‘hot fix’ where we have a C# application that bulk deletes and bulk updates a SQL Azure Database from an exported Excel sheet from said SPO List. Then in data modeling mode, we query the SQL Azure DB. To me, it seems like there has got to be a better way. One thought I have is to create a ‘Friendly Form’ much like the intelligence forms we have now with lookup columns, autofill options, validation rules, etc and then have a workflow run in the background to copy the list item to a plain list that we can then configure as an External Content Type using Business Connectivity Services to populate a SQL Azure DB as we had before and query that. In this architecture, I suppose I’d also need a workflow that ran if an item was updated in the Friendly List that would then update the simple list configured with BCS. Any thoughts are greatly appreciated!

One a side note, I’m looking forward to April’s PBI Desktop update where SharePoint Online List is an actual data source. They could possibly solve the limitations I’ve experienced thus far.

1 REPLY 1
v-yuezhe-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi Caitlin_Knox,

According to this article, you can directly connect to a SharePoint list in Power BI Desktop. Make sure that you enter the site URL instead of the list URL, once connected to the site in Power BI Desktop, you can select the SharePoint list from the list of available tables to load the data. For more details, please review the following similar thread.

http://community.powerbi.com/t5/Service/PowerBI-linked-to-SharePoint-Lists-require-a-Personal-Gatewa...

Thanks,
Lydia Zhang

Community Support Team _ Lydia Zhang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.