Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

nenisat
Frequent Visitor

Connecting PowerBI to Azure Cassandra (CosmosDB API)

Hi,

I did not find native connectivity from PowerBI to Azure (CosmosDB for) Cassandra API DB.

Tried with cdata driver ODBC connection, by supplying https://<contact point> for server, which resulted the error "The connection failed: No cluster is available".   

I am not how to configure ODBC connection and how to get details for server, OLAP etc from Azure portal.

Please let me know how to set up ODBC connection for cData / Datastix Cassandra drivers.

Also let me know if there is any other way to connect PowerBI to Azure Cassandra.

Thanks

4 REPLIES 4
v-yuta-msft
Community Support
Community Support

@nenisat ,

You can use this custom connector below to connect to Cassandra:

https://www.cdata.com/drivers/cassandra/powerbi/

Community Support Team _ Jimmy Tao

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

I have already downloaded this driver.

Is this for "Apache Cassandra" only  or works for Cassandra on Azure CosmosDB also ?

I am looking for a driver to connect PowerBI with "Azure" Cassandra DB (Azure Cosmos DB Cassandra API)

@v-yuta-msft wrote:

@nenisat ,

You can use this custom connector below to connect to Cassandra:

https://www.cdata.com/drivers/cassandra/powerbi/

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hi @v-yuta-msft

With the help of CData and clearing latency issues from myside, I could able to establish

connection from PowerBI to Azure Cosmos DB for Cassandra.

(1) Created a test table with 3 records in the Cassandra database.

(2) Created a simple report with Import option having two pages.

Page1 contains a Pie Chart and Page 2 shows the details thru Drill Thourgh Option.

(3) Also created the same report with Direct Query option.

Report created with Import option is working fine and Drill Through option is also working fine

(showing details in the page 2).

But the report created with "Direct Query option" is showing the Page1 with Pie Chart, but when

I select Drill Through on Page 1,  on the Page 2 it is keep on waiting (showing circle icon) and no

data is shown. I can say retrieving the data forever. 

Also observed without Drill Through option set, both the Pages in the report are retrieving data

without any issues in Direct Query mode.

I see problem is here with Drill Through option.

Can you please provide us on how to fix this issue. Is there any additional connection properties

I need to pass with the connection. Right now I am leaving the "Advanced Connection Properties"

empty. 

CData Connector Advanced Connection PropertiesCData Connector Advanced Connection Properties

Regards,

Satish 

@nenisat ,

I would suggest you to contact with cdata for more details about this connector.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.