Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Alex_Ooi
Helper IV
Helper IV

Connecting PostgreSQL hosted in Google Cloud Platform

Hi there, most recently my company had moved its PostgreSQL RDS from AWS to GCP. Things were going fine until I reformatted my machine today. After hours of bantering through the solution here (https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Desktop/The-remote-certificate-is-invalid-according-to-the-validati...) I just realised the reason why I couldn't proceed would be due to the location where the server is hosted.

Right now, I am stuck because usually when I downloaded the npgsql driver, it would have worked when my PostgreSQL RDS was still hosted in AWS in the past. Like, I don't even know should I download pgAdmin (because I tried that and it still didn't work anyway).

The errors returned are a few iterative ones, which seems to be running in circles when I tried other solutions:

"We couldn't authenticate with the credentials provided. Please try again."

But I could run my queries in Navicat just fine with no connectivity issues like this.

"Could not receive data from client: No connection could be made because the target machine actively refused it."

I revoked my credentials, then made sure they are set in database level and not Windows level. The problem still persists.

"Could not connect to server: Connection refused (0x0000274D/10061)"

This happens to be the most technical problem that I don't even understand where to head after reading some articles.

I am not a programmer, neither am I an expert with softwares. I would really appreciate if there are any database architect who's able to explain in details to me how all these should work in a GCP environment.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @v-shex-msft after discussing with my DevOps, the root cause of this problem is not with the SSL certificate. Rather, it was with the proxy connection where the request was refused. When he gave me the principal IP to connect with, all problems solved. I will close this case now. Thank you for your response.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
amitchandak
Super User
Super User

Hi @amitchandak appreciate your reply. As mentioned in my post, that was the first thing I did.

Unfortunately that solution only worked when you're hosting your server on AWS. I am wondering if there is something similar for GCP that I could proceed with the other steps?

Hi @Alex_Ooi,

In fact, I think power bi may only support the scenario that you mentioned. For any advanced operations or other redirections, I don't think it is impossible to achieve.
Any other data connector drivers or API interfaces to link/package your data source connections with other authorizations modes without SSL?

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.

Hi @v-shex-msft after discussing with my DevOps, the root cause of this problem is not with the SSL certificate. Rather, it was with the proxy connection where the request was refused. When he gave me the principal IP to connect with, all problems solved. I will close this case now. Thank you for your response.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.