Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

gmckinnon
Frequent Visitor

Connecting Desktop to a Power BI Dataset that uses Direct Query Invalid password Error

Hi, 

I have a data model I have built in Desktop that uses only direct query to a SQL Datawarehouse and uses my ogranizations AD to login. This works find and I can publish the dataset to the power bi service and can view/build reports using it in the service.

But when I open a new Power BI desktop and connect to the dataset via Power BI Datasets connector I can see the tables and columns but when I drag it on to a visual in the report pane it shows a error;

110003;Invalid user or password. The exception was raised by the IDbConnection interface.

If I then publish this new desktop report back to the service I can view the visuals in the service but not in the desktop....

Any suggestions? seems like its having trouble sending my AD to the service then sending it to the direct query source. 

3 REPLIES 3
dax
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @gmckinnon , 

According to youir description, it seems that there is something wrong with your credential. You need to make sure the credential of dataset is correct. You could check it by clicking dataset->setting->datasource credential to see whether it work or not. And you also need to make sure you have permission to access this dataset. 

You also could re-publish the dataset and try this again to see whether it work or not.

Best Regards,
Zoe Zhi

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

amitchandak
Super User
Super User

As I am only using Azure SQL Datawarehouse there is no need to use a gateway as I am not connecting to anything on premise

thanks

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.