Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Connecting Denodo With PowerBI

Hi All, has anyone here used Denodo as a datasource with PowerBI ? I see that there is no connector available in powerbi for Denodo, i am wondering if anyone has connected to Denodo using ODBC and how was their experience using Denodo with PowerBI.

My cleint has Denodo as their Data virtualization tool.

Thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-danhe-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @Anonymous,

Based on my test, current DENODO support the ODBC driver, you can refer to this link https://community.denodo.com/docs/html/browse/6.0/vdp/developer/access_through_odbc/configuration_of_the_odbc_driver_on_windows/set_up_a_dsn_on_windows

to set a DSN on windows and add it into the ODBC Data . Then you can use the Power BI Desktop to connect the DENODO. Please note the ODBC DSN bit version needs to match Power BI desktop bit version.

A.PNGB.PNG

Regards,

Daniel He

Community Support Team _ Daniel He
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
nisargdshah
Frequent Visitor

Hi All,

I have connected PowerBI Desktop with Denodo using Denodo PowerBI connector given by Denodo. During the conenction powerbi asks for Import or Direct Query and I used direct query. The report gets bulit very well and connection works well from powerbi desktop to denodo. However, when I share such report on powerbi cloud then it does not work and gives error as

"The data refresh failed due to an error in retrieving dataset. Please try again later or contact support."

When the same source in the report was changed to use Import option then it worked.

So I would need help in resolving the dataset refresh issue mentioned above when the option Direct Query was used while connecting to denodo.

Can you please help me out.

Thank & Regards,

Nisarg Shah

nisarg.shah@mastek.com

v-danhe-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @Anonymous,

could you please tell me if your problem has been solved? If it is, could you please mark the helpful replies as Answered?

Regards,

Daniel He

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi All,

Have you used build in Power BI Denodo connector and have you used it with direct query on the Power BI Service with Enterprise Gateway? If yes how it works?

Thank you.

Regards,

Pawel

v-danhe-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @Anonymous,

Based on my test, current DENODO support the ODBC driver, you can refer to this link https://community.denodo.com/docs/html/browse/6.0/vdp/developer/access_through_odbc/configuration_of_the_odbc_driver_on_windows/set_up_a_dsn_on_windows

to set a DSN on windows and add it into the ODBC Data . Then you can use the Power BI Desktop to connect the DENODO. Please note the ODBC DSN bit version needs to match Power BI desktop bit version.

A.PNGB.PNG

Regards,

Daniel He

Note that in April 2018 Denodo came out with a Power BI ODBC connector that can be downloaded from the Denodo Connects site.  https://community.denodo.com/answers/question/details?questionId=9060g0000004F2OAAU&title=PowerBI+Di...

Note that in April 2018 Denodo came out with a Power BI ODBC connector that can be downloaded from the Denodo Connects site.  https://community.denodo.com/answers/question/details?questionId=9060g0000004F2OAAU&title=PowerBI+Di...

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.