Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Connect to shared Excel file in OneDrive for Business with "guest link" (Anonymous Authentication)

Hello friends,

I have a simple shared Excel file on OneDrive for Business (shared with anyone = "guest link")
I want to import it as a source with my query.

When I do this:

= Excel.Workbook(Web.Contents("https://team8industrial-my.sharepoint.com/personal/michaelshparber_team8industrial_onmicrosoft_com/_..."), null, true)

I get error message:

DataFormat.Error: The input URL is invalid. Please provide a URL to the file path on SharePoint up to the file name only (with no query or fragment part).

Maybe I can alter the link somehow?

Please help

Thank you

Michael

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-yuezhe-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @Anonymous,

Do you connect to Excel file on OneDrive for Business in Power BI Desktop using Anonymous option? If that is the case, I get the following error message when using Anonymous option. As stated in this article, we need to use Organizational Account (for Office 365 or OneDrive for Business sites) when connecting to files on OneDrvice for Business.
1.png

However, it is possible to connect to Excel file on OneDrive for personal in Power BI Desktop using Anonymous option.

Thanks,
Lydia Zhang

Community Support Team _ Lydia Zhang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
v-yuezhe-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @Anonymous,

Do you connect to Excel file on OneDrive for Business in Power BI Desktop using Anonymous option? If that is the case, I get the following error message when using Anonymous option. As stated in this article, we need to use Organizational Account (for Office 365 or OneDrive for Business sites) when connecting to files on OneDrvice for Business.
1.png

However, it is possible to connect to Excel file on OneDrive for personal in Power BI Desktop using Anonymous option.

Thanks,
Lydia Zhang

Community Support Team _ Lydia Zhang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks Lydia,

So I understand it's just not possible, even if the file is shared publicly with everyone as a "guest link".

Strange, but if  so - I'll search for another storage option.

Thanks again for the reply.

Michael

Read my article here.  It describes how to connect Power BI to one drive files  http://exceleratorbi.com.au/data-modelling-onedrive-source-files/ 

* Matt is an 8 times Microsoft MVP (Power BI) and author of the Power BI Book Supercharge Power BI.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Great Article!

While it's working fantastic with OAuth2 - it doesn't work with "guest link"

The Url needs some other stucture...

?

Thanks!

Michael

I haven't tested this, but my assumption is you own the file and hence you should be able to make a secure connection to the file. The guest link is just a way for other to connect to the file.

* Matt is an 8 times Microsoft MVP (Power BI) and author of the Power BI Book Supercharge Power BI.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.