Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

sarahs
Frequent Visitor

Connect to a website that has credential

Hello,

In PBI desktop I want to get data from WEB, but the website needs credential, where I have to enter website credential?

Thanks

28 REPLIES 28
negi007
Community Champion
Community Champion

@sarahs 

If your data is available in any third-party website, then you would need credentials of that website to be able to access the data from powerbi. In my opinion you can use organization account to access the webdata, in cases where data is available in Microsoft cloud/services only.

The available authentication methods for this connector are:

• Anonymous: Select this authentication method if the web page doesn't require any credentials.

• Windows: Select this authentication method if the web page requires your Windows credentials.

• Basic: Select this authentication method if the web page requires a basic user name and password.

• Web API: Select this method if the web resource that you’re connecting to uses an API Key for authentication purposes.

• Organizational account: Select this authentication method if the web page requires organizational account credentials.

refer to below links for help

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-query/connectors/web/web

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-query/connectors/web/web-by-example

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-query/connectors/web/web-troubleshoot#authenticating-to-arbit...

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!
Appreciate your Kudos

Proud to be a Super User!

Follow me on linkedin

Anonymous
Not applicable

You need to add an "Authorization" header to your web connector via the advanced tab when you enter the url in Power BI. The authorization header accepts the Basic encrypted credentials that are sent when you login to that site in your browser.

I used Fiddler to monitor the web traffic going in and out from my browser to see the Basic encrypted credentials that are used when I log into the website (under the raw tab in Fiddler it will say "Authorization: Basic (your encrypted credentials)". You could probably use some kind of encryptor website that takes your credentials and provides you with the Basic encrypted string, but I didn't think of that when I did this.

Finally, under HTTP request header parameters in Power BI I chose "Authorization" as the header type and entered in "Basic (encrypted credentials from Fiddler)"

This worked for me.

Anonymous
Not applicable

You need to add an "Authorization" header to your web connector via the advanced tab when you enter the url in Power BI. The authorization header accepts the Basic encrypted credentials that are sent when you login to that site in your browser.

I used Fiddler to monitor the web traffic going in and out from my browser to see the Basic encrypted credentials that are used when I log into the website (under the raw tab in Fiddler it will say "Authorization: Basic (your encrypted credentials)". You could probably use some kind of encryptor website that takes your credentials and provides you with the Basic encrypted string, but I didn't think of that when I did this.

Edit: And this is how you can do it without Fiddler, go to https://www.base64encode.org/ and type in your credentials like so: 

"username password" 

With a : instead of a space no quotes obviously. Hit encode and now you have your Basic encrypted credentials. You can probably write this in M and replace the Authorization header code with a Base64 function in M but my M ain't exactly advanced.

Finally, under HTTP request header parameters in Power BI I chose "Authorization" as the header type and entered in "Basic (encrypted credentials from Fiddler)"

This worked for me.

I realize that this is an older post, but I'm struggling with this same issue.  I tired all of the steps provided, without success.  Are you able to share some generic/blurred screenshots of your process?  (I have my basic encryption key).  Thanks.

Hi I cannot find Authorisation in fiddler under raw. Can you screenshot?

It's really disturbing that there has been literally NO support from MS on this subject.

If you're going to support basic authentication, it would be really helpful to understand what's happening when Power BI attempts to have a 'conversation' with the designated web site / web page, as well as some guidance on how to get basic authentication to work properly in various scenarios.

It's really disturbing that there has been literally NO support from MS on this subject.

If you're going to support basic authentication, it would be really helpful to understand what's happening when Power BI attempts to have a 'conversation' with the designated web site / web page, as well as some guidance on how to get basic authentication to work properly in various scenarios.

Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm not a web wiz and I'm not trying to be a douche, but it probably isn't Microsoft's Power BI Team's job to teach us about how websites authenticate users.

jeslincjoy
Regular Visitor

Hello PBI Superusers / Admins,

Having same problem "Credentials Provided are Invalid" for HTML Connector to a Website that needs basic authentication. When you provide user credentials on the Browser - Able to access this. Have been searching for a solution for quite some time. And the Frown's not helping in this regard.

chethan
Resolver III
Resolver III

@sarahs

do some custom setting in Internet explorer, User Authentication & Automatic logon with current username and password enable this it will work

MeryBen
Regular Visitor

I have the same issue. Any solutions ?

there is a paid connector to shopify.com. But it is little expensive.

Got a similar issue and no solution in place so far.

PBI documentation is not even mentioning the newly released "advanced" option. So no clue how to use the authentification options properly.

My topic: need to pull data from a website. URL is being redirected to the authentification page, requiring to log in. After entering login credentials I need to navigate to the proper side with the data being displayed.

Any solution in place?

I was able to get a password prompt, but now Im getting "The credentials provided are invalid" although I can type the url, username, and password in a browser and it works great!! No dual auth, basic login screen.

Here is how I was abel to get a prompt:

• "get data" -> web
  • Type in URL (https)
  • receive "Unable to connect" message

PowerBI 1.png

• click edit, now you have a "open file as" option select html then click ok

PowerBI 2.png

• and now you have a username and password prompt. 

PowerBI 3.png

Getting the same issue with credentials. My site has Basic authorisation and I am able to log on to the page through web browser while Power BI returns 'The credentials provided are invalid'. Any ideas how to solve this?

I don't understand the first step "get data" > web.

What do i have to do exactly? Thanx for the explaining

check there is option like which level you need to apply the credentials. 

I am having the same issue showing in your screen shots. Have you received any update from anybody?

Struggeling with the same problem and not finding a proper solution.

PBI documentation is still outdated, not even mentioning the newly released "advanced" feature.

My situation: I need to access data on a website that requires login credentials first before navigating to the relevant page with the data displayed. So there is this redirect in place as part of the authentification.

Any solution in place?

pqian
Employee
Employee

@sarahs It really depends on the type of credentials, baisc auth, form auth, OAuth are handled differently. Some Websites have 2 factor auth that we simply can't support. What is the website in query?

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.