Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

prateeks
Frequent Visitor

Connect to SSAS in Azure VM from PBI Desktop

Hi,

I have Azure VM with SQL Server 2016 running database services and SSAS.

So far I have configured following - 

1. On-Premise Data Gateway in Azure VM

2. Data Gateway in Power BI Service connecting to SSAS in Azure VM

Now, if I want to create reports using Power BI desktop, I need to connect to SSAS in Azure VM.

But I am using PBI desktop in my local machine, which is not on the same domain as SSAS.

What is the way to connect to SSAS in Azure VM using PBI desktop if not in the d=same domain?

Is there anyway I can use Data Gateway to connect to SSAS in Azure VM on PBI desktop?

Thanks,

Prateek

2 REPLIES 2
v-sihou-msft
Employee
Employee

@prateeks

You have to be in same domain. The Analysis Services hosted on Azure VM can only authenticate with windows account. If this account doesn't mapping to your local machine logon account, you can't connect to that SSAS hosted on Azure VM.

Regards,

Anonymous
Not applicable

Is there a way to overwrite the domain during deploy? It's possible to connect to cube metadata using this:
https://stackoverflow.com/questions/25651087/how-to-connect-to-azure-vm-sql-server-analysis-service-... 
but when trying to deploy I get the error:
"The server could not be contacted."

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.