Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Peg

Connect to Power BI from another computer

How can I connect remotely to power BI Desktop located on my server computer from another computer which is not on the same network as the server to get report through a browser?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Peg

@JarroVGIT
@v-eachen-msft
@Anonymous

Thank you all for your priceless advice. I actually wanted to have an access to reports, not the PBI app, so by installing and activating IIS on server system the problem is solved. 🙂

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
Peg

@JarroVGIT
@v-eachen-msft
@Anonymous

Thank you all for your priceless advice. I actually wanted to have an access to reports, not the PBI app, so by installing and activating IIS on server system the problem is solved. 🙂

Hi @Peg ,

I am glad you could solve the problem, you could accept your own answer to help the other members find it more quickly.

Community Support Team _ Eads
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it.
Anonymous
Not applicable

To get started with this feature, you’ll first need to enable the preview option in Power BI Desktop. Navigate to File > Options and settings > Options > Preview features and enable Power BI Service Live Connection. You’ll need to restart Desktop in order for the option to take effect.

When you create a new Power BI report, you’ll see the Power BI service option under Online Services.

From there, you’ll get a list of your workspaces. Expand each workspace to see the list of datasets you can use to create reports. You may not see every dataset that is available to you in the Power BI service, the datasets you’ll see listed are:

• Datasets you have edit access to. These include datasets you’ve created or datasets you have edit access to in a shared workspace. Datasets created from service content packs should show up in this list as well.
  • Datasets coming from data sources via import, DirectQuery or Push. We do not yet support SSAS data sources via this method, but it is on our roadmap to support this as well.
  • Datasets from Organization Apps once you’ve made a copy. In order to get edit access to a dataset in an org app, you first need to make a copy.
v-eachen-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Peg ,

Can the two computers be connected remotely to each other?

Community Support Team _ Eads
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it.
JarroVGIT
Resident Rockstar
Resident Rockstar

You can't directly connect to another PowerBI Desktop, and certainly not if you are not on the same network.

You will need to use the publish the report from the server computer to the Power BI Service (online) and then connect from you second computer to the published dataset/report. Is that possible for you? You can read more on this topic here:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/desktop-upload-desktop-files

Kind regards

Djerro123

-------------------------------

If this answered your question, please mark it as the Solution. This also helps others to find what they are looking for.

Keep those thumbs up coming! 🙂

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.