Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

heli
Regular Visitor

Connect to OneDrive folder instead of specific files

Hi!

We have an application that writes a new CSV file every day and uploads it to a OneDrive folder.

Currently I use Power BI Desktop to load all files from that local OneDrive folder (filter rule) and the PBIX file is stored to OneDrive as well. The Power BI Dashboard connects to the PBIX file on OneDrive (with a scheduled refresh).

The problem is: Additional CSV files are not automatically loaded in the Dashboard unless I manually open the PBIX file, refresh the data and store the PBIX file again.

If I understood correctly, the Power BI Desktop could be connected to a OneDrive URL instead a local path. That way it might be possible that a Dashboard can automatically refresh data if the CSV content changed.

But since there are new CSV files every day, I would need to connect Power BI Desktop to a OneDrive folder instead of specific files.

Is there any way/trick to connect the Power BI to a OneDrive folder (that contains additional CSV files every day) ?

4 REPLIES 4
v-jiascu-msft
Employee
Employee

@heli

Hi,

According to your post, it seems that you already have a Gateway. It should work but a little slow. If you didn't have a Gateway, you can get one following the guide below.

1. If only PBI is active,  Power BI Gateway – Personal is enough. Install it in the computer in which the folder is located and sign in.
  2. If the source is shared with other service like Power APP, On-premise Gateway is needed. Install it in the computer in which the folder is located and sign in. Add a data source in Power BI Service.Connect to OneDrive folder instead of specific files01.jpg

Connect to OneDrive folder instead of specific files02.jpg

Best Regards!

Dale

Community Support Team _ Dale
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hi @v-jiascu-msft,

Is there are a need for connecting with Gateway we are using Onedrive do there is no need of gateway.

Please suggest me best answer how can I upload several files as the @heli said in onedrive and it will work in power bi desktop.

Regards,

Arvind.

Hi @arvindyadav,

Please create a thread in this forum.

Best Regards,

Dale

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hi @heli,

Could you please mark this as answer if it worked? Most about this topic, please feel free to post here.

Best Regards!

Dale

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.