cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
wonga Established Member
Established Member

Re: Connect to OBIEE RPD using ODBC Connection

@arify I've tried your suggestion and it doesn't look like it changed anything. One interesting thing to point out is that when you click on the "Source" step under "Applied Steps", it shows a list of elements from the physical layer (e.g. Oracle Data Warehouse). I'm given the option to expand a "Data" column, but the result of that is all "null" values.

Thanks.

EDIT: @arify Do you know if the steps regarding exposing key fields in this page need to be done in order for an ODBC connection to the Oracle BI Server?

http://kb.tableau.com/articles/knowledgebase/tableau-and-obiee

Microsoft arify
Microsoft

Have you tried both of my suggestions? I'm assuming the second one I suggested is the one that showed you the null values (even though you set the HierarchicalNavigation to true and removed that #(0000) part).

How about the first one, where you set the HierarchicalNavigaton = false without the 2nd step?

Like,

let
    Source =  Odbc.DataSource("dsn=YOURDSN", [HierarchicalNavigation=false])
in
    Source

wonga Established Member
Established Member

@arify After trying out your first suggestion, I get:

rpd 4.PNG

Empty table with some new columns (Item, Schema and Catalog). Thanks.

Microsoft arify
Microsoft

Oh, that's interesting @wonga . In your DSN, have you set the database parameter?

wonga Established Member
Established Member

@arify, By database parameter, do you mean the last page of configuring the DSN where you select a database and input login credentials?

If so, then no I did not do that. I have tried to in the past, but everytime I do it, it pops up with a dialog box and a yellow "!". After checking the settings again, it doesn't look like the credentials were saved or anything.

Example:

rpd 5.PNG

Microsoft arify
Microsoft

That.. looks sad. It doesn't look like this is a properly working driver. Luckily we have other things to try as a workaround 🙂

1. You can try connecting via using connection string instead of DSN. In PBI, when you click ODBC, instead of picking a DSN, you would type a connection string. I'm guessing it would be like: Driver={yourdrivername}; Host=yourservername; Database="Procurement and Spend - Purchase Orders"

It probably won't work on your first try, you might need to add more parameters or change some of the keys (for example Server (or Hostname) instead of Host, or Db instead of Database etc.) Unfortunately I don't know about OBIEE and I couldn't find an example connection string on the internet (I only looked for a few minutes).

2. (This is probably easier) On the PBI's ODBC dialog where you pick the DSN, after picking the DSN, you can expand "Advanced Options" and enter a SQL query (e.g. select * from db.tablename)

Yasda08 Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Hi,

Did you manage to get this option working?

Using web serviecs is another option - OBIEE Metadata Service

Thanks

wbsissonii Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Was there ever a resolution for this (I'm experiencing the same issue).  A bit of history: 

• Been working with Oracle OBIEE for about 8 years and are looking at additional/alternative reporting tools but don't want to give up all of the Business Models that we have created in OBIEE
  • Testing Tableau and Microsfot Power BI Desktop as alternatives that could then translate to long term solutions
  • Setup a OBIEE ODBC connection that connects to OBIEE and dislays a list of Presentation Layer Subject Areas
  • Setup a data source in Tableau which then brings up a sujbect area (dsignated) with a list of all of the tables and data objects within the subject area, which I can select into a report (Tableau workins using the ODBC connection)
  • In Power BI I select Get Data and then select Other and then ODBC as my data source.  I select the same ODBC connection for Power BI that I did for Tableau.  It brings up a list of the OBIEE Subject areas but when I click to expand the list to get to the table and data elements no items are displayed.  I would have expect a list of subject area tables and then subject area columns (data elements) to be selected to be displayed. 

I would include screen shots but they would be indentical to other screen shots in the discussion forum.   Please advise how and if there is a solution for this issue.  Because we have 8 years of OBIEE data modeling it is important for us to find a way to leverage those models going forward.  We would also consider a tool that could migrate those data models, the Oracle RPD, to Power BI.

Thanks...

wbsissonii Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Has anyone found a solution for this?

I'm experiencing the same issue.  Here is a bit of background:

We have been using OBIEE for more about 8 years and have built all of our business models, dashboards and anlaysis using OBIEE.  We are now at a point we are looking at other analytics tools to either replace or suplement OBIEE.  However, we don't want to lose all of the phsycial and busienss models that we created over that time.  Recently we have looked at Tableau and Microsoft Power BI as possible alternatives.  As such, I have downloaded desktop versions of each applciation to test.

1. I setup an ODBC connection using the Oracle BI Server driver to point to the Presentation Layer Subject areas of OBIEE.  The ODBC driver successfully displays the Subject areas.
  2. In Tableau I connect to the ODBC data source and it allows me to view the OBIEE Subject Area and all of the tables and columns (data objects) within the Subject Area.  It also allows me to pull data data  models into Tableau for reporting.
  3. In Power BI I connect to the ODBC data source and it dispalys my subject areas (similiar to the discussion and images contained in this stream).  However, when I click on one of the Subject areas it does not expand to show me the tables and columns within the Subject area (per the discussion and images here).  I do not get any messages other than no data available. 

I would appeciate any suggestinos in solving this issue and guideance for integrating the OBIEE models into Power BI.  In addition, if there is a tool for migrating OBIEE RPD metadata into Power BI that would be very usefull as well.

Thanks...

Microsoft arify
Microsoft

Hi @wbsissonii,

Please make sure you installed the latest version (that got released a few days ago) and then do this workaround:

Go to Get Data > Blank Query > (In the query editor) Advanced Editor > Paste this:

let
    Source =  Odbc.DataSource("dsn=YOURDSN", [HierarchicalNavigation=false])
in
    Source

Please let me know how it went.

Thanks

Helpful resources

Announcements
New Kudos Received Badges Coming

New Kudos Received Badges Coming

Kudos to you if you earned one of these! Check your inbox for a notification.

Microsoft Implementation for Communities Wins Award

Microsoft Implementation for Communities Wins Award

Learn about the award-winning innovation that was implemented across Microsoft’s Business Applications Communities.

Power Platform World Tour

Power Platform World Tour

Find out where you can attend!

Top Kudoed Authors (Last 30 Days)
Users online (4,760)