Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

C-Jac
Helper I
Helper I

Connect to Analysis Services

Hi, 

I'm trying to connect to a data model which is on Analysis Services. I'm trying to do this the same way I've always done, and using the same server name and everything. I've tried both a live connection and an import, but for some reasone I'm not allowed to do this anymore. It gives me the following error: 

Unable to connect

We encountered an error while trying to connect. 

Details: "Windows authentication isn't supported in DirectQuery mode for this data source."

I've done this multiple times before. I can make the connection through Management Studio and through Excel without any trouble. 

I've tried restarting the computer, uninstalling Power BI and reinstalling it, logging in and out of Power BI, everything. 

Does anyone know why I might be getting this error when trying to connect to a data source which I have been able to connect to before? 🙂

5 REPLIES 5
brumd

Same issue here. It wasn't affecting me because I'm still in version november/2020.

amitchandak
Super User
Super User

@C-Jac , Check if there are some know issue or log a new one - https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Issues/idb-p/Issues

I found another one who reported the same issue 🙂 

amitchandak
Super User
Super User

@C-Jac , Check are you facing this issue on Dec-2020 update. If so log an issue - https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Issues/idb-p/Issues

I just checked, and this is in the December 20 version 😞 

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.