Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Connect Power Bi to Oracle Fusion

Hi

Please, I need your help.

How can I connect to oracle fusion and what is needed to be provided from the oracle site?

Regards,

13 REPLIES 13

Hi

Why dont you give BI Publisher Connector a try. It helps directly connect Power BI to Oracle data models in minutes. No Excel extracts or SQL queries needed. 

You can get data from the Oracle Fusion Cloud Database (for OTBI users) and the Physical layer (for OBIEE/OAC/OAS users).
BI Publisher Connector is compatible with both Power BI Desktop and Service.

It's also easy to setup and even non-technical users can work with ease. All you have to do is install the Connector, enter your OBIEE credentials, select it in Power BI & start visualizing Oracle data. 

As it doesn't store your data anywhere, there's no security concerns involved.

Hope this was helpful. 

BI Connector connects Power BI Desktop and Service (and Report Server) to Oracle Fusion Analytics in minutes. You can now access the ERP, HCM, CX or SCM Subject Areas and Analysis reports in both Import and Direct Query modes!

The connector is Power BI Certified, and also retain the joins underlying the Subject Area tables in Power BI with simple steps. You don't have to create them from scratch in Power BI!

The connector enables seamless blending of your Oracle Fusion ERP, HCM, CX and SCM data with your other data sources in Power BI.

kwolton

I am after this functionality too. Has there been a solution in the 2 years since this was created? 

Anonymous
Not applicable

To determine which version of Power BI Desktop is installed, select File > About then check the Version: line. In the following image, a 64-bit version of Power BI Desktop is installed:

Installing the Oracle client
For 64-bit versions of Power BI Desktop, use the following link to download and install the 64-bit Oracle client.

kominiasty
Regular Visitor

Hi,

It is impossible as direct connection - but you can have it similar to scheduled export but with extended amount of data.

This can be done by using SOAP for OBI/BIP.  But you need some sort of middleware anyways, external server running the script or as in my case - MS Power automate.

First you need to learn how to extract the data from BI publisher:
https://docs.oracle.com/cd/E28280_01/bi.1111/e22259/webservices.htm#BIPDV002
Use soapUI (https://www.soapui.org/) application to test and develop connections to WSDL's mentioned in above link.

Create BIP sql report that will suit your needs. Use soapUI to get proper package back.

This guy describes the process nicely:

https://blogs.oracle.com/fadevrel/calling-bi-services-from-external-applications 

Keep in mind he uses obsolete WSDL link (use one from Oracle doc I placed above).

Then you need to rewrite working soapUI request code to app you're gonna use.

In powershell you can use Invoke-WebRequest or Invoke-restmethod.

In ms Power Automate you can use HTTP connector, post method with WSDL of your interest as URI, with single empty header SOAPAction and request code from soapUI in the body. It gets the job done.

Last point If you want huge amount of data extracted asynchroneously (I had to do it async due to mspa html request timeouts):

Use one SOAP request to schedule the report - you will get parent jobID back. Increment it and use to run getAllScheduledReportHistory which confirms if your incremented id is child of parent jobID received in first place.

Then run some until loop on getScheduledJobInfo to wait and confirm the file is ready. 

Finally use getScheduledReportOutputInfo to get document ID and getDocumentData to get the document (it is base64 encoded - ms flow allows to decode it using expressions: base64ToString() for xml, csv overal txt data or base64ToBinary() for other filetypes. For other apps than mspa you need to code something of your own). My output gets uploaded to sharepoint and sourced to PowerBI from there.

That way you can completely control what will be extracted from your fusion OBI by crafring BIP SQL yourself, by letting the process to schedule the report you will make it completely independed and waiting for report process/file preparation to be finished on its own.

Excuse me for quite a messy reply but I finished developing above just last week in my company so for me this is quite fresh and gamechanging knowledge I am yet to utilize in its full potential.

Kind Regards,

Matt

Anonymous
Not applicable

hello 

Please brief your requirement.

Are you trying to connect to Oracle Fusion Middleware components from Power BI.

Anonymous
Not applicable

hi

thank you for your response

yes, it is true I need to know how can I connect to oracle fusion.

regards,

Maher

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi

Just checked in Oracle KB support and looks like "Cloud Network security does not allow any connections directly to the DB from any tool".

Anonymous
Not applicable

hi

do we have any workaround solution to get data from oracle fusion?

thank you for your help.

regards,

Anonymous
Not applicable

I have connected Oracle Essbase using below if that helps

http://servername:19000/aps/XMLA

Anonymous
Not applicable

hi 

thank you for your reply, kindly note that oracle fusion is cloud base how did you manage to get the server name?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Anonymous
Not applicable

It depends upon what data you are planning to pull. I have once tried to connect Oracle system tables to pull stats details. unfortunately Oracle doesnt allow access to MS excel.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.