Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

minimynt
Frequent Visitor

Connect Power BI to Oracle DB

Hi,

I'm trying to connect to Oracle DB. I already installed connector, but after I put server name and also the database credential, I got this error.

Details: "Object reference not set to an instance of an object."

Any idea?

Thanks.

Priscilla

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
arify
Employee
Employee

Can you take a look at this thread if it fixes your problem? http://community.powerbi.com/t5/Desktop/PowerBI-desktop-64Bit-oracle-connection-error-Object-referen...

Also, can you send us a frown with that exception? Does it say "Unexpected Exception" ?

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
v-yuezhe-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @minimynt,

Firstly, please make sure that you use the latest version of Power BI Desktop, and you have installed the latest version of Oracle client following the instructions in this article. Ensure that your Oracle client, Oracle Server and Power BI Desktop have the same bitness(32bit or 64bit).

Secondly, in Power BI Desktop , go to File >Options and Settings > Data Source Settings, delete any Oracle data source, then connect to Oracle via “Get Data>Oracle Database” again.

Thirdly, when connecting to Oracle from Power BI desktop, enter the connection details in TNSnames.ora file, then check if it is successful. Alternatively, you can connect to the Oracle Database via EZConnect connection string. For more details, please review this similar blog.

Thanks,
Lydia Zhang

Community Support Team _ Lydia Zhang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
arify
Employee
Employee

Can you take a look at this thread if it fixes your problem? http://community.powerbi.com/t5/Desktop/PowerBI-desktop-64Bit-oracle-connection-error-Object-referen...

Also, can you send us a frown with that exception? Does it say "Unexpected Exception" ?

altieripereira
Regular Visitor

Hi,

How version of Power BI you area using ?

@altieripereira Hi, I use Power BI june update 64 bit

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.