Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

ayush
Frequent Visitor

Connect Power BI to FTP

Hi All,

I have .gz files sitting on FTP. Can we directly connect Power BI to FTP? If yes please tell how should I proceed.
     As per my research, we can not directly connect Power BI to FTP so I am trying to connect using R - script present inside power BI but I think R has some data storage limitation (data used by the R visual for plotting is limited to 150,000 rows).

Please let me know any alternate approach.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @ayush,

Since Power BI Desktop cannot directly work with FTP sources, what about using FTP commands or third-party tools to bring files down to local folder, then connect to the folder by using the Get Data ->Folder option in Power BI Desktop.

Best  Regards,

Cherry

Community Support Team _ Cherry Gao
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
CN186104

Hi:  There is an idea posted in the community that you can vote on:

https://ideas.powerbi.com/ideas/idea/?ideaid=041af235-6195-40fa-94b7-34cb1960aeec

It needs a lot more votes to be considered... but this would be a great addition.

v-piga-msft
Resident Rockstar
Resident Rockstar

Hi @ayush,

It's currently possible to use an FTP URL through the "From Web" choice by using an FTP URL. However, this isn't supported when refreshing data in Power BI.

For reference, you could have a  view of this similar thread.

Best Regards,

Cherry

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

@v-piga-msft Thanks for the help... but I think FTP URL through the "From Web" choice works only for a single file.

I wanted to import multiple files from FTP.

Thanks,

Ayush

Hi @ayush,

Since Power BI Desktop cannot directly work with FTP sources, what about using FTP commands or third-party tools to bring files down to local folder, then connect to the folder by using the Get Data ->Folder option in Power BI Desktop.

Best  Regards,

Cherry

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.