Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

floorw
Regular Visitor

Connect Power BI service dataset to Power BI desktop dataset

Hi all,

I set up a personal gateway with scheduled data refresh in Power BI Service. Is there a way to sync the Power BI Desktop dataset from with the Power BI Service dataset?

Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @Burningsuit.

>>so if I have data in a Data Model, not a "live" connection, Power BI Desktop will NOT refresh when I open it, but I have to click "refresh" yes ?

Yse, when you open a live data source, power bi will try connect to the datasource to check if it is available, it will refresh the data.

(These results are based on live datasource offline test. )

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
Burningsuit
Resident Rockstar
Resident Rockstar

So if you have the Personal Gateway working, refresh will access the data files on your machine and update the Data Model in the cloud. To refresh the Data Model in Power BI Desktop, (assuming it is accessing the same data files) simply click "Refresh" on the Home menu, and the Desktop will do the same as the automatic refresh, go out get the data and load it into the Data Model.

Depending on how often the data changes, and how often you run Automatic refresh, the data in the Data Model will be the same. 

Thank you. However, I want the data in Power BI desktop to be automatically updated as well. Can I automatically sync the desktop dataset with the service dataset at start up or something like that?

HI @floorw,

>>Can I automatically sync the desktop dataset with the service dataset at start up or something like that?

Power bi desktop not support auto refresh dataset, but the data will be refreshed when you open the report or click the refresh button.

Regards,

XIaoxin Sheng

If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.

Forgive me @v-shex-msft, but I don't think Power BI Desktop refreshes the Data Model when you open it, you have to click "Refresh", or is there a setting I don't know about?

Hi @Burningsuit,

For 'live connection' datasource, it will refresh when you open the pbix file(contains the live connection datasource) or click on refresh button(on home tab).

Regards,

Xiaoxn Sheng

Thanks @v-shex-msft, so if I have data in a Data Model, not a "live" connection, Power BI Desktop will NOT refresh when I open it, but I have to click "refresh" yes ?

Thanks

Stuart

Hi @Burningsuit.

>>so if I have data in a Data Model, not a "live" connection, Power BI Desktop will NOT refresh when I open it, but I have to click "refresh" yes ?

Yse, when you open a live data source, power bi will try connect to the datasource to check if it is available, it will refresh the data.

(These results are based on live datasource offline test. )

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.