Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Yaniv
Helper I
Helper I

Connect Powe BI desktop to Jira Cloud

Hi,

Someone has the idea connect power bi desktop to Jira cloud?

I can connect the power bi web application to our jira cloud instance but since I'm missing some features in the web application (like create new custom table and make relations between them) I was trying to connect our jira to the power bi desktop application.

The option of downloading the report to pbix file is grayed out and in the 'get data' of the desktop the Jira is missing.

Appreciate your assistance.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-huizhn-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @Yaniv,

In Power BI desktop, you can use the Power BI Desktop Template by clicking File->import->Power BI template. Please review the shared information under this article.

Best Regards,
Angelia

View solution in original post

14 REPLIES 14

Hi @Yaniv 

Just in case you consider trying and alternative solution, we released Jira app (can be installed on your Jira Cloud / Server & Data Center instance) - Power BI Connector for Jira: https://marketplace.atlassian.com/apps/1221150/power-bi-connector-for-jira?hosting=cloud&tab=overvie...

We have a handy User/Admin Guide https://aserve.atlassian.net/wiki/spaces/PBCFJC/overview and fast/responsive support team at support@alpha-serve.com. Please let us know if you need any assistance.

Cheers!

Anton

===
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Binway
Helper II
Helper II

Downloaded the template and connected to JIRA fine.  But can only see 100 records - which don't include my Project.

Is there a filter somewhere restricting the number of records?

Very spiffy piece of kit though.

Last fall there was a change on the JIRA side to limit max results for a call to 100. There are several places where people talk about changing something on the PowerBI side from 500 to 100 to get the dataset to work again. For the life of me I can't figure out where that is. Can't find any way to get around this and it's frustrating not finding any current info.

Ok - so if I said you were a freakin' genius savethepennies, I'd be understating how good your hints were. So what I did was:

Open the report in Desktop and go to "Edit Queries".

What I see are two queries, sort of, one shows the JIRA url and the other shows the actual "GetISsues" query.

JIRAqueris.PNG

I opened the "URL" one to get the URL being used for the next step.

Select get Issues and over in the right hand side scroll up to Source and select the settings icon so you can edit the source like below.

JiraSetting.PNG

The pagesize may be at 500 or some value, I changed it to 100, which resolved the issue for me.

However, I recall being here previously and changing the pagesize but it didn't work, maybe I didn't hold my tongue correctly.

Anyway, this was the change I made and it resolved the probelm for me.

Fantastic - thanks.

Binway

Aha! I've been working with PowerBI online and using the JIRA content pack and app. There is no way to edit the query online and it won't let me download the pbix. I tracked down a desktop template in the comments of the Power BI blog post. In desktop I was able to do what you described and while it took a looooong time to refresh, it worked! So thanks for your tip.

Glad we're making progress. It would be nice if the published solution could be updated, especially since it is such a ridiculously simple fix.

Hi,

The OneDrive link that is mentioned here is dead. Does anyone have a link to this PowerBI Desktop template?

I eventually found the original JIRA content pack mentioned in the original solution.

I have uploaded it to my google drive - https://drive.google.com/open?id=1rc7ngRHPH38AWwHEMKJ6mcPjhSVT-rJe.

Hopefully you can download it.

All the best

Binway

v-huizhn-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @Yaniv,

In Power BI desktop, you can use the Power BI Desktop Template by clicking File->import->Power BI template. Please review the shared information under this article.

Best Regards,
Angelia

Anonymous
Not applicable

All,

I am still looking for the content pack and unable to download it from anywhere. I have succesfully connected from Power BI online to JIRA which was easy, but connecting power BI Desktop is still an issue, I would really need help on this. Appreciate your feedback on this. Thank you.

Anonymous
Not applicable

I got it from the Google drive and its working as expected. Thanks.

I thought it's working but unfortunately it's not. It getting stuck on the refresh screen.

pb-jira.jpg

Nevermind, I managed. 

Thanks.

Hi @Yaniv,

It still get stuck on the refresh screen? Have your resolved it? Please update your Power BI desktop to the latest version.

Best Regards,
Angelia

Thanks!!!

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.