Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Twister8
Helper II
Helper II

Connect Oracle Database

Hi everybody,

How to connect in Oracle Database? Oracle.DataAcess.Client is required, or I have alternative whithout this, for this connection?

Tks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
igordossantos
Helper I
Helper I

Correct, ODAC components will be required to be installed on the machine developing reports, as well as on the system hosting the On-Premises Gateway. 

You most likely will also need an entry on the TNSNAME.ORA file on your machine, as well as on the machine hosting the On-Premises Gateway, pointed to the Oracle backend system. 

The TNSNAME entry will be used as the server name. 

Besides the above, you will need credentials to authenticate against the Oracle backend. 

For more information: 

https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/documentation/powerbi-desktop-connect-oracle-database/

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
igordossantos
Helper I
Helper I

Correct, ODAC components will be required to be installed on the machine developing reports, as well as on the system hosting the On-Premises Gateway. 

You most likely will also need an entry on the TNSNAME.ORA file on your machine, as well as on the machine hosting the On-Premises Gateway, pointed to the Oracle backend system. 

The TNSNAME entry will be used as the server name. 

Besides the above, you will need credentials to authenticate against the Oracle backend. 

For more information: 

https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/documentation/powerbi-desktop-connect-oracle-database/

Igor tks for answer

I did this question because, I am thinking in my business users, i would like any thing more simple, for example: Install just power bi desktop and i can use the oracle connection. Considering this scenario, I have any alternative or just with this method ODAC.?

More time, tks for answer 🙂

No. There are no workarounds if you want to connect to an Oracle backend. ODAC must be installed. 

Tks for help 🙂

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.