Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

gheesalias
Frequent Visitor

Connect Live SSAS

Hi,

1. Is the enterprise Gateway same as On Premises Data Gateway?

2. I live in a WORKGROUP(no AD) network, and I have reports which uses Live Power BI account as well as Imported one. And I have set my Gateway up also. But I am not able to refresh any of these Datasets from Power BI web. Is it essential to have a network where AD is enabled? Wont it work from a WORKGROUP environment? 

3. For the report which uses Live connection, I havent mentioned in the DataSource settings that this source should use my Gateway, that option si greyed out. Is it that a live connection to Analysis server will always check for the Gateway configured by default?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi gheesalias,

Yes you are right. Data is stored at the Server side when using live connection, not in Power BI service.

For the import option, we need to schedule refresh in order to keep the data up-to-date.

Check the article below for more information regarding Data refresh:

Data refresh in Power BI

If you have any further questions, please post back.

Regards

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
Anonymous
Not applicable
v-micsh-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi gheesalias,

Yes, the enterprise gateway is the same as On Premises Data Gateway, which is the older name of On Premises Data Gateway.

If you would like to refresh dataset on your own computer, which is not in a domain environment, it is possible with Personal Gateway configured.

Power BI Gatway - Personal

For On-premises SSAS live connection, yes, it would always need an On Premises Data Gateway, check the article below for more details:

SQL Server Analysis Services live data in Power BI

"

Important:

• In order to connect to a live Analysis Services server, an On-premises Data Gateway must be installed and configured by an administrator. For more information, see On-premises Data Gateway.

• When you use the gateway, your data remains on-premises.  The reports you create based on that data are saved in the Power BI service. 

• Q&A natural language querying is in preview for Analysis Services live connections.

"

If you have further questions, please feel free to post back.

Regards

Thanks @v-micsh-msft for your points, just 1 more quick question.

Your point "When you use the gateway, your data remains on-premises.  The reports you create based on that data are saved in the Power BI service. ", what does this mean? If I have a live connection to SSAS Connection using Gateway, it is not stored in Power BI service, right? The data is stored in power BI service only if I use Import Query and in this particular situation, I can use Gateway to refresh the datasets at intervals, could you please correct me if I am wrong here?

Hi gheesalias,

Yes you are right. Data is stored at the Server side when using live connection, not in Power BI service.

For the import option, we need to schedule refresh in order to keep the data up-to-date.

Check the article below for more information regarding Data refresh:

Data refresh in Power BI

If you have any further questions, please post back.

Regards

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.