Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

aclifton
Frequent Visitor

Connect Data from Service Channel

Hi all,

I am looking for a way to connect data from the Service Channel web server to a Power BI file, or to create it as a data source in the Power BI web server. Service Channel is not listed as an option under the online services tab for Get Data, but I know it has to be possible. Any help would be appreciated, thanks!

4 REPLIES 4
v-tangjie-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @aclifton ,

What is your service channel? Please check the document to check if the data source you want to connect to is supported, if not ,you can post your idea to Ideas .

https://ideas.powerbi.com/ideas/

If your data source is web, refer to it :

1. In the Power BI Desktop Home ribbon tab, drop down the arrow next to Get Data, and then select Web.

2. In the From Web dialog, paste the URL into the URL text box, and then select OK.

vtangjiemsft_0-1670984146172.pngvtangjiemsft_1-1670984157080.png

Please refer to the following document for more information.

Power BI Connections | List of Top 6 Data Connection Source Categories (wallstreetmojo.com)

Use Power BI Desktop to connect with your Project data - Microsoft Support

How to connect Power-BI with multiple web data sources or URLs | by Braulio Berlanga | Medium

Best Regards,

Neeko Tang

If this post  helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution  to help the other members find it more quickly. 

Hi Neeko,

Thanks for your response.

Service Channel is a web server that my company uses as a portal to show the data for Work Orders to our clients. The data is updated daily and we want to make a live connection to Power BI and be able to have the data that is in service channel in a Power BI document. 

I tried doing it through the Web section under Get Data, but this does not seem to work, since we have to login with our credentials to service channel, and the data isnt shown in a spreadsheet format. The data can be exported from service channel into a spreadsheet, however, we want a live connection. Do you have any ideas? Any more help would be appreciated. Thanks!

Hi @aclifton ,

You can import data into a SQL Server Analysis Services tabular model or SSAS MD database and use desktop for a live connection.

Please refer to the following document for more information.

Connect Live Power BI to SSAS Multidimensional (biinsight.com)

All About Power BI LIVE Connection Simplified 101 - Learn | Hevo (hevodata.com)

Best Regards,

Neeko Tang

If this post  helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution  to help the other members find it more quickly. 

Hi Neeko,

Currently, we do not have this data in a SQL server. It is in a cloud based data hub called ServiceChannel (servicechannel.com). We can export excel sheets from this website, but we want to try to directly connect it to Power BI so we can make reports with the data in there.

The only way to get the data in a spreadsheet formula seems to be by exporting it into an excel sheet, and I have to login with my user credentials before I can see anything. Is there something in the Get Data tab that I can use to make this possible?

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.