Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

nirrobi
Helper V
Helper V

Connect 2 tables to the same other table

Hi all,

I am new to all the modeling world and have problem with connecting 2 table with orders (Import and export) that should be connected to other table quantity.

When I tried to connect the 2 tables to the the quantity tables one of the connection is not active.

Am I doing something wrong?

Please your help/

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Sean
Community Champion
Community Champion

For the screenshot => Expand the tables in the Relationship View so we can see ALL Columns in ALL Tables.

This way we can see if Append / Merge for the 2 Sales tables (Export Sales and Import Sales) would work.

You may need to Add a Custom Column (like Sales Type - Export and Import) to each Query before you actually append them.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
Sean
Community Champion
Community Champion

You say you have 2 tables with orders - you should be able to either Append or Merge them into 1 table using the Query Editor.

Append them if they have same columns - this would easier and faster - otherwise you would have to merge them.

https://support.powerbi.com/knowledgebase/articles/471644-shape-and-combine-data-in-power-bi-desktop

Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

There are a couple of potential solutions to this but I would need to see some sample data and understand what you are trying to accomplish (including how tables are related to one another) in order to present you with the best solution. No, you are not doing anything wrong, only one connection FROM a table is "active" at a time. (In other words, you can have multiple relationships between a table with unique values that serves as the "end" of the relationship). Probably doing a terrible job of explaining that.

If you have a 3 tables, orders, categories and customers. Categories and Customers have unique values. You can relate Orders to Categories and Customers but only one connection is active at a time.

If you have 3 tables, orders, exports and customers. Customers has unique values. You can relate both Orders and Exports to Customers table and both connections will be active.

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

This is part of my model where I stuck,

From TableConnectionTo Table
QuantityOne to manyImport Sales
QuantityOne to manyExport Sales

CustomersOne to manyImport Sales
CustomersOne to manyExport Sales

Channel ImportOne to manyImport Sales
Channel ExportOne to manyExport Sales

I try to to connect customer and quantity to 2 table and had the problem with my connection is inactive.

I tried to make report to show all the quantity in my company - Export&Import togther.

I tried to use "append query" but no luck.

Any other suggestion?

Many thanks

Can you switch to the Relationship View and share the screenshot of the Table and Relationship graph?

Alex.

Sean
Community Champion
Community Champion

For the screenshot => Expand the tables in the Relationship View so we can see ALL Columns in ALL Tables.

This way we can see if Append / Merge for the 2 Sales tables (Export Sales and Import Sales) would work.

You may need to Add a Custom Column (like Sales Type - Export and Import) to each Query before you actually append them.

I will send example first thing in the morning 🙂

Many thanks.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.