Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

rssilvaba
Resolver II
Resolver II

Confused how the KPI visual works.

Hi All, Given the attached sample.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1iBrJRFZ9EZNg78Yei-M3yQBKPdLq1N35/view?usp=sharing 

I am trying to get the total number in the Indicator, if you look the sample you will see that I am using a distinct table for the years and with that I get the correct Indicator number for the given interval. which in the sample is '158'

This way I get the right number but then as soon as make a relationship to the calendar table or use the year number (Y#) from the calendar table the numbers goes 'blank' or wrong.

How can I get the trend to show correctly? but also have the correct amount for the period (158)?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

hi @rssilvaba - The KPI visual requires data for multiple periods to show a trend and it shows the value of the key metric from the latest period vs. the target for the latest period. 

You can refer to the screen shot below for reference - you can understand the behavior better when comparing the "# Requests" vs. "KPI PA Target #" by Year & Month as a KPI visual and a bar chart

Sumanth_23_0-1600631900809.png

Please mark the post as a solution and provide a 👍 if my comment helped with solving your issue. Thanks!

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution! Appreciate your Kudos!

Proud to be a Super User!

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
Sumanth_23
Memorable Member
Memorable Member

hi @rssilvaba - I had to change the measure in the KPI visual and the numbers match between the 2 KPI cards. 

In the file you shared "YM#" was set to display in the KPI card; once I changed it to "Y#" then the values are matching between the 2 KPI cards. 

Sumanth_23_0-1600620006253.png

Please mark the post as a solution and provide a 👍 if my comment helped with solving your issue. Thanks!

@Sumanth_23 , My bad, I used the the YM# just to show that with that I get the trend.

When we change to the Y# altough we are in the Calendar table we should get the trend shouldn't we? Or am I getting this wrong? Is it because I have less than an year between the data so it can't plot the trend?

@Sumanth_23 , Just complement, for example if I change the Trend to use the Date Hierarchy (year) instead, it does plot the trend but then I get (Blank).

hi @rssilvaba - The KPI visual requires data for multiple periods to show a trend and it shows the value of the key metric from the latest period vs. the target for the latest period. 

You can refer to the screen shot below for reference - you can understand the behavior better when comparing the "# Requests" vs. "KPI PA Target #" by Year & Month as a KPI visual and a bar chart

Sumanth_23_0-1600631900809.png

@Sumanth_23 , Thanks for taking the time to put this together.

I suspected that would be the case, but this makes it deadly clear.

@rssilvaba  - Happy to help! 🙂

VijayP
Super User
Super User

@rssilvaba 

Some reason I am not getting Blanks ! I am getting Values

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution! Appreciate your Kudos!!
MY Blog || My YouTube Channel || Connect with me on Linkedin || My Latest Data Story - Ageing Analysis

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.