Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

PetyrBaelish
Resolver III
Resolver III

Conflicting Month Calculations

Here's my sample data, I have been creating some calculated columns that all look at the Date_Time field and determine it's academic year - I am trying to extend this to enable drill down on a monthly and daily basis, whereby September is month 1 through to month 12 August. However there's a discrepancy in the way the month is calculated...

Here's my data:

Month Wrong.PNG

We can see something is going wrong in the Academic Year-Month column where the 12th January has become Month 5 - December (December should actually be Month 4)

Date_Time is the native date/time field.

Here's my formulas for the other calculated columns

Academic Year = IF(MONTH('Views and Created'[Date_Time])<9,YEAR('Views and Created'[Date_Time])-1&"/"&RIGHT(YEAR('Views and Created'[Date_Time]),2),YEAR('Views and Created'[Date_Time])&"/"&RIGHT(YEAR('Views and Created'[Date_Time])+1,2))
This works fine.

This is the interesting one:
Academic Year-Month = 'Views and Created'[Academic Year] & " - " & 
IF(
    IF(MONTH('Views and Created'[Date_Time])>8,MONTH('Views and Created'[Date_Time])-8,MONTH('Views and Created'[Date_Time])+4)<10,0,""
)&
IF(MONTH('Views and Created'[Date_Time])>8,MONTH('Views and Created'[Date_Time])-8,MONTH('Views and Created'[Date_Time])+4)
&" "
& FORMAT(MONTH('Views and Created'[Date_Time]),"MMM")
Lets break down how 12/01/2018 becomes "05 Dec". The first part works correctly. The statement looks at the date, sees that its January (01) - goes to the false part of the IF statement and adds 4 to this figure and it becomes 5. This is correct as January is month 5 of the academic year.

The final line however looks at the 12/01/2018 and for some unknown reason it now looks at the 12 value and determines the field is December.

My question is why does the Month function, when evaluating 12/01/2018 in one instance look at the "12" figure" and in the other instance look at the "01" figure?? Why the inconsistency?

For reference my 3rd calcualted column Academic Year-Month-Day, the Day portion of the formula works correctly and consistently:
Academic Year-Month-Day = 'Views and Created'[Academic Year-Month] & " - "
& IF(DAY('Views and Created'[Date_Time])<10,0,"")
& DAY('Views and Created'[Date_Time])
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
PetyrBaelish
Resolver III
Resolver III

So I couldn't see the woods for the trees - the reason the final statement didn't work is because I didn't need to use the month function here.

This:

Should be:

& FORMAT('Views and Created'[Date_Time],"MMM")

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
PetyrBaelish
Resolver III
Resolver III

So I couldn't see the woods for the trees - the reason the final statement didn't work is because I didn't need to use the month function here.

This:

Should be:

& FORMAT('Views and Created'[Date_Time],"MMM")

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.