Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

mak82pk
Helper I
Helper I

Configuring Power BI Pro gateway on Client's Server

Dear All,

Good morning.

I hope you are fine and doing well.

Our company INTEREL is looking to buy the license of Power BI Pro. We will embed the URL generated using Power BI in our web application. The database is on SQL server 2012.

The web application and database will be deployed on the client’s server and their administrator will configure the gateway to update dataset to refresh the Power BI report on that server.

We will develop and publish the reports and the clients will only view the reports. So in the beginning we are planning to go with the following plan:

1 Pro user and 14 frequent users

What I need to know, does the administrator of the client’s server also need to have Pro user account  to configure gateway or he can login using frequent user account.

Your kind assistance will be greatly appreciated.   

Thanks and best regards,

Mohammed Adil Khan

Software Engineer

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @mak82pk,

A Pro license is required to use the gateway. Moreover, a Pro license is required for users when interacting with a dashboard or report that makes use of the gateway.

Reference: On-Premises Data Gateway FAQ

Best regards,
Yuliana Gu

Community Support Team _ Yuliana Gu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
robofski
Resolver II
Resolver II

@mak82pkThe plan you are referring to is for Power BI Premium which for a deployment of 15 users seems like a VERY expensive way to do things.  1 Pro and 14 frequent users prices out at $5005 per month, 15 Pro users would be $150 per month.

Perhaps I'm missing something in your requirements that's making you go down the Premium route.

Thanks for replying. No, I am planning to use BI Pro which is $10/month. The thing is every client will have it own DB, web app and BI gatway to refresh dataset for Power BI. Gateway requires user credential to run and I need to know can the admin of that server use frequent user credential to login. 

Hi @mak82pk,

A Pro license is required to use the gateway. Moreover, a Pro license is required for users when interacting with a dashboard or report that makes use of the gateway.

Reference: On-Premises Data Gateway FAQ

Best regards,
Yuliana Gu

Community Support Team _ Yuliana Gu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
mak82pk
Helper I
Helper I

Our company INTEREL is looking to buy the license of Power BI Pro. We will embed the URL generated using Power BI in our web application. The database is on SQL server 2012.

The web application and database will be deployed on the client’s server and their administrator will configure the gateway to update dataset to refresh the Power BI report on that server.

We will develop and publish the reports and the clients will only view the reports. So in the beginning we are planning to go with the following plan:

1 Pro user and 14 frquent users.

What I need to know, does the administrator of the client’s server also need to have Pro user account  to configure gateway or he can login using frequent user account.

Your kind assistance will be greatly appreciated.   

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.