Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Configure "Incremental Update" for lookup table

Hi, 

I want to know the "right way" to configure "incremental update" for lookup tables. 

Currently I have this lookup table (not fact table) to be included as part of the incremental logic. This table has 2 audit columns (see pic 1)

1. created timestamp -- when record 1st created timstamp
  2. last modified timestamp - when record last updated timestamp

Pic 1

akiko_lim_0-1603742144530.png

Since any rows of the data can be changed at anytime. Currently I have this Incremental update configured as such, 

Am I wrong ? (see pic 2) 

I purposefully configured the years = 100 for this discussion. As there is no "shelf-life" for this data. 

Appreciate any comments or inputs. 

Pic 2:

akiko_lim_1-1603742279657.png

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @Anonymous ,

According to my understanding, if the 100-year data is refreshed every time, it is no different from the full refresh, which does not reflect the advantages of incremental refresh.

Best regards,
Lionel Chen

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
amitchandak
Super User
Super User

@Anonymous , 100 years is a big duration, but configuration seems fine.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks @amitchandak !  🙂

Hi @Anonymous ,

v-lionel-msft_0-1604042440825.png

Your configuration will refresh the data 100 years before the current date every time, which is estimated to be no different from full refresh.

I suggest you refer to the official documentation.

Refresh ranges 

v-lionel-msft_1-1604042653033.png

Best regards,
Lionel Chen

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@v-lionel-msft 

Thanks for your comment. 

The changes of data for lookup tables can be any rows. I am not able to partition changes by "Date". Hence, always looking to update any rows @ anytime. 

Since the current "Incremental Update" works well with transactional table. Would it be correct to say that I potentially gain better performance by not including these standing tables in "Incremental Update"? 

What's your take ? 

Hi @Anonymous ,

According to my understanding, if the 100-year data is refreshed every time, it is no different from the full refresh, which does not reflect the advantages of incremental refresh.

Best regards,
Lionel Chen

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks Lionel for confirming my doubt. 

In this case, I will not include standing tables into increment update config. It doesn't help or make sense. 

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.