Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

kyliejones

Configure auto refresh for report built in Power BI Desktop

Hello,

Still new here and looking for help!

I've created a report in Power BI Desktop that takes data from a Smartsheet report based on daily form submissions. Power BI seems to have forced me into a free trial of Pro so I'm concerned that any features I use will be inaccessible when the trial is over, as we won't be upgrading to Pro.

I'd like the report to be accessible by anyone with the link to the Power BI report, but when they open the link, for the report to be the most current data from the Smartsheet.

A couple questions:

- am I able to configure auto refresh in Power BI Desktop? I have done lots of searching.

- when the Pro trial ends, will this function still work?

- is it possible for my colleagues to always access an up-to-date version of the report, via a link, and know that it's always up to date? Can I rely on the refresh? Can anyone view the report if they aren't a Power BI user?

- if this is possible, how do I go about it?

Here's a screenshot of my report:

kyliejones_0-1634915994455.png

I look forward to any guidance. Thank you.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-henryk-mstf
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @kyliejones ,

According to your description, you can only refresh manually in powerbi desktop by clicking the button above. If you publish it to service, you can configure the scheduled refresh through the gateway.
When the trial version expires, powerbi will keep your data records for a period of time before it expires.

When you use Publish to web, anyone on the Internet can view your published report or Viewing requires no authentication.

For more details, you can read related document link.

Publish to web from Power BI - Power BI | Microsoft Docs

Power BI Free vs Pro (Paid) - 60 Days & Membership Preliminary - DataFlair (data-flair.training)

If the problem is still not resolved, please point it out and let me know immediately. Looking forward to your reply.

Best Regards,
Henry

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
v-henryk-mstf
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @kyliejones ,

According to your description, you can only refresh manually in powerbi desktop by clicking the button above. If you publish it to service, you can configure the scheduled refresh through the gateway.
When the trial version expires, powerbi will keep your data records for a period of time before it expires.

When you use Publish to web, anyone on the Internet can view your published report or Viewing requires no authentication.

For more details, you can read related document link.

Publish to web from Power BI - Power BI | Microsoft Docs

Power BI Free vs Pro (Paid) - 60 Days & Membership Preliminary - DataFlair (data-flair.training)

If the problem is still not resolved, please point it out and let me know immediately. Looking forward to your reply.

Best Regards,
Henry

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.