Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Conditionnal Formating with pure field

Hello

I'm trying to have conditionnal Color formating on a simple numeric Field (here underneath CodeProjectID) but the menu panel always propose to have condition on the number of CodeProjectID not the value of CodeProjectID. What am I doing wrong?

Powerbi.png

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Use MAX for this. MAX will return the max value, but both MIN and MAX have a unique characteristic where they will convert a field to a scalar value if there is only one value in your field.

So MAX(Table[CodeProjectID]) will work

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!
Did my answers help arrive at a solution? Give it a kudos by clicking the Thumbs Up!

DAX is for Analysis. Power Query is for Data Modeling

Proud to be a Super User!

MCSA: BI Reporting

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
edhans
Super User
Super User

Because the value field you are using is not a number, but a field, so it has however many records are in your table. It needs to do Count, First, Max, or something to get to a single, also called scalar, value.

That is why a measure will work as is, a measure always returns a scalar value.

What Power BI is doing is actually creating an implicit measure, like COUNT(Table[YourField]) or MAX, or FIRST, or whatever.

Did my answers help arrive at a solution? Give it a kudos by clicking the Thumbs Up!

Thanks.

IS there anyway to compute a measure for instance from this field to be able to condition on the value itself? For instance New Measure TEST = 0+ CodeProjectID (I tried it does not work).

Use MAX for this. MAX will return the max value, but both MIN and MAX have a unique characteristic where they will convert a field to a scalar value if there is only one value in your field.

So MAX(Table[CodeProjectID]) will work

Thanks a lot, it's working!

Great! Glad my solution helped.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors