Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

HelenaX
Helper I
Helper I

Conditioning Formatting Acting Wierd?

I was able to successsfully place a conditional formatting for a runtime expressed in decimal (for instance, 1:30:00 is 1.5) on a table column (data source: share point files)

HelenaX_0-1626968092238.png

However, when I tried to do the exact conditional formatting for another table column (data source: Oracle database), the Summarization field shows up and it is manditory that you have to use some types of aggregation. However, I just want to use the field value as I did in the the first screen shot. You can notice that the Summariation field didn't show up in the first screen shot. 

HelenaX_2-1626968303956.png

I don't think the data source matter as they have been both uploaded into PowerBI as tables in the same file. 

How to get rid of the Summmrization field in the 2nd sceen shot? Anyone can give me a hand?

Thanks!

Helena

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @HelenaX ,

Yes, your understanding is correct. The created measure is based on a certain calculation logic. Its aggregation operation is included in the created formula and is also related to its filtering context. Its data category cannot be changed. On the contrary, column is effective.

vhenrykmstf_0-1627464998902.pngvhenrykmstf_1-1627465023638.png

vhenrykmstf_2-1627465057235.pngvhenrykmstf_3-1627465079917.png

Hope to help you.

Best Regards,
Henry

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
v-henryk-mstf
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @HelenaX ,

According to the information you provide, the condition of "based on field" in Conditioning Formatting depends on the type of field.

vhenrykmstf_0-1627375936191.pngvhenrykmstf_1-1627375943152.png

You can refer to related documents to modify the fields in the data model that apply conditional formatting.

Conditional table formatting in Power BI Desktop - Power BI | Microsoft Docs

Tips and tricks for formatting in reports - Power BI | Microsoft Docs

Best Regards,
Henry

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Thanks! I read through the documents. I still have a question. See my post above.

Hi @HelenaX ,

Yes, your understanding is correct. The created measure is based on a certain calculation logic. Its aggregation operation is included in the created formula and is also related to its filtering context. Its data category cannot be changed. On the contrary, column is effective.

vhenrykmstf_0-1627464998902.pngvhenrykmstf_1-1627465023638.png

vhenrykmstf_2-1627465057235.pngvhenrykmstf_3-1627465079917.png

Hope to help you.

Best Regards,
Henry

Thanks Henry! I will create a Measure to replace the Added Column. 

I still don't fully understand why an Added Column can't be sort by field value. It is difficult to know this type of detail when a beginner wants to add a new column and later on notice that it can only be sorted by aggregated values. He/she may not even figure out that a measure would do the work without first creating a measure and comparing it with the Added Column.

Your help is really appreciated!

Helena

lbendlin
Super User
Super User

What visuals are you applying the conditional formatting to?  What are the exact field types?

The data type of the "Runtime in Decimal" column is "Decimal number". 

HelenaX_0-1627399615748.png

"Runtime in Decimal" is an added column while "WF Finish Time in Decimal" (this is what I used for comparison which can be sorted by field value in Conditional Formatting) is a measure

I noticed that there is no choice for data type for the measure:

HelenaX_1-1627400137393.png

Does that mean that only values in a measure can be sorted according to field value, and the values in an added column have to be sorted by aggregation?

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.