Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Conditional tables slicing in DirectQuery

I have created report with DirectQuery connection and made table with dates when system needs to be checked when date is 12 months or more from current date. And done conditional formating on them so it would show when its red then its >12 months, yellow is >9 months but <12 months and green is <9 months old since last check.dates.png This is the formula that works if you create custom column in Import type connection, but I cant use it since report has to be DirectQuery connection. Purpose of this formula is to slice table to "Red","Yellow","Green". That meaning if in the system in any of the date reviews or assessments columns there is Red it will only show thous systems that have least one red column in the row. Even if other columns are green or yellow. For Yellow it will show systems that have least one column that is yellow in any of the four columns. And for Green it will show all systems that dont have any Red or Yellow columns, in short all green row.slicer column.png I can create measure using this formula but not custom column in DirectQuery mode. Anyone know how I could archieve thous slicer functions some other way in DirectQuery type report?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Anonymous
Not applicable

I manage to find the solution to the problem. In the orfiginal formula used for Custom column which has SUM DAX function and the CALCULATE function. Since SUM is not supported in the DIrectQuery mode report. Only in measures. I tried to remove it and the CALCULATE function as well, leaving just the IF function. The formale then works for the DirectQuery mode report. 

Name = IF((System_Review_Flow_V2[CF Date failover review]) >11 || (System_Review_Flow_V2[CF Date of last impact assessment]) > 11|| (System_Review_Flow_V2[CF Date of last security review]) > 11|| (System_Review_Flow_V2[CF Date of last vendor assessment]) > 11, "YES", IF((System_Review_Flow_V2[CF Date failover review]) >8 || (System_Review_Flow_V2[CF Date of last impact assessment]) > 8|| (System_Review_Flow_V2[CF Date of last security review]) > 8|| (System_Review_Flow_V2[CF Date of last vendor assessment]) > 8, "NEARLY YES", "NO"))

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
v-diye-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous 

Conditional formatting won't be affected by the slicer selection, the problem might be other else.

Kindly refer to the similar threads for conditional formatting in direct query:

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Desktop/Conditional-Columns-or-IF-Conditions-in-Direct-Query-mode/td-p/165966 

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Desktop/Conditional-Formatting-For-Showcasing-machine-status/td-p/248974 

Community Support Team _ Dina Ye
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more
quickly.
Anonymous
Not applicable

I see the the misunderstanding. Slicing would be effecting table as it is supposed to do. I dont expect it to effect conditional formating on itself.

Anonymous
Not applicable

I manage to find the solution to the problem. In the orfiginal formula used for Custom column which has SUM DAX function and the CALCULATE function. Since SUM is not supported in the DIrectQuery mode report. Only in measures. I tried to remove it and the CALCULATE function as well, leaving just the IF function. The formale then works for the DirectQuery mode report. 

Name = IF((System_Review_Flow_V2[CF Date failover review]) >11 || (System_Review_Flow_V2[CF Date of last impact assessment]) > 11|| (System_Review_Flow_V2[CF Date of last security review]) > 11|| (System_Review_Flow_V2[CF Date of last vendor assessment]) > 11, "YES", IF((System_Review_Flow_V2[CF Date failover review]) >8 || (System_Review_Flow_V2[CF Date of last impact assessment]) > 8|| (System_Review_Flow_V2[CF Date of last security review]) > 8|| (System_Review_Flow_V2[CF Date of last vendor assessment]) > 8, "NEARLY YES", "NO"))
amitchandak
Super User
Super User

Not sure I got it. But you can create a color measure and use that in conditional formatting, after using field option

Color Date = if(FIRSTNONBLANK('Date'[date],TODAY()) <today(),"lightgreen","red")
Color sales = if(AVERAGE(Sales[Sales Amount])<170,"green","red")
Color Year = if(FIRSTNONBLANK('Date'[Year],2014) <=2016,"lightgreen",if(FIRSTNONBLANK('Date'[Year],2014)>2018,"red","yellow"))

Color  = if(FIRSTNONBLANK('Date'[Year],2014) <=2016 && AVERAGE(Sales[Sales Amount])<170 
,"lightgreen",if(FIRSTNONBLANK('Date'[Year],2014)>2018,"red","yellow"))

Refer: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/desktop-conditional-table-formatting#color-by-color-values

https://radacad.com/dax-and-conditional-formatting-better-together-find-the-biggest-and-smallest-num...

Anonymous
Not applicable

I think your solution is for getting columns to be the color I need them. But that isnt the problem I can still do conditional formating on them. Am I right? Only thing that I cant do is to slice them based on how long ago was the check.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.