Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

ale-hd
Helper I
Helper I

Conditional merge in query editor

Hi all, I am stucked in something... extremely difficult to me.

Here you can download the (very small) pbix file 

Have 2 tables, "table 2" has unique values in column "ID 2".  

TABLE 1

Table1.JPG

TABLE 2

Table2.JPG

When "ID 2" is matching I need to obtain in Table 1 all of the corresponding columns from Table 2.

This is basic and easy. BUT in table 1 there are columns where "ID 2" is empty, therefore, as exptected, I obtain "null" values when this happens.

MERGED TABLE: TABLE 1 GETS VALUES FROM TABLE 2 WHEN "ID 2" IS MATCHING

Table Merged.JPG

What I need is:

when "ID 2" in Table 1 is empty I need the cells with "null" values, being populated with the values from the first row (from up to down) with matching "ID 1" in table 2.

So, if I could write an "If" statement I would say:

If "ID 2" in "Table 1" is not empty than merge all the columns from the "ID 2" matching rows in "Table 2". Otherwise merge all the columns from the first row met, reading from up to down, matching the "ID 1".

In the exampe I should obtain "Good - New york - Usa" in lines 3 and 4; "Any , Sadsfas , fdd... " in line 8

Please note: for some reason I necesseraly have to manage this in Query Editor.

Thank you so much for your help, Alessandro

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
lbendlin
Super User
Super User

You can iterate through the table (you have to do it for each column) and replace null with the column value in the first row

[column] {0}

Here is the first step to do that - you still need to add the section logic.

let
    Source = Table.NestedJoin(#"Table 1", {"ID 2"}, #"Table 2", {"ID 2 "}, "Table 2", JoinKind.LeftOuter),
    Expand = Table.ExpandTableColumn(Source, "Table 2", {"DETAIL 1", "DETAIL 2 ", "DETAIL 3"}),
    #"Replaced Value" = Table.ReplaceValue(Expand,"",Expand[ID 2]{0},Replacer.ReplaceValue,{"ID 2"})
in
    #"Replaced Value"

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
lbendlin
Super User
Super User

You can iterate through the table (you have to do it for each column) and replace null with the column value in the first row

[column] {0}

Here is the first step to do that - you still need to add the section logic.

let
    Source = Table.NestedJoin(#"Table 1", {"ID 2"}, #"Table 2", {"ID 2 "}, "Table 2", JoinKind.LeftOuter),
    Expand = Table.ExpandTableColumn(Source, "Table 2", {"DETAIL 1", "DETAIL 2 ", "DETAIL 3"}),
    #"Replaced Value" = Table.ReplaceValue(Expand,"",Expand[ID 2]{0},Replacer.ReplaceValue,{"ID 2"})
in
    #"Replaced Value"

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.