Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

kwpbi
Helper II
Helper II

Conditional formatting with rules... base maximum off of table value?

Again, I am trying to do something that should be simple, but I cannot figure out how to do it in Power BI. I am using a gauge-style visual with conditional formatting for the data color. I want to set it up with two rules: for values between zero and the "target value", I want it red. For values above the "target value", I want it green. Seems pretty straight-forward for this type of visual.

However, those fields for min/max seem to only accept numerical inputs. I need to drive these formatting rules with the "target value" from my table, because it changes from day to day.

Is this possible?

Thank you.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
parry2k
Super User
Super User

@kwpbi  create a measure for color like

KPI Color = IF( [Value] < [Target] , "Red", "Green" )

in conditional formatting, choose field value and select kpi color measure

Subscribe to the @PowerBIHowTo YT channel for an upcoming video on List and Record functions in Power Query!!

Learn Power BI and Fabric - subscribe to our YT channel - Click here: @PowerBIHowTo

If my solution proved useful, I'd be delighted to receive Kudos. When you put effort into asking a question, it's equally thoughtful to acknowledge and give Kudos to the individual who helped you solve the problem. It's a small gesture that shows appreciation and encouragement! ❤

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution. Proud to be a Super User! Appreciate your Kudos 🙂
Feel free to email me with any of your BI needs.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
v-frfei-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @kwpbi ,

We can set condiftional formatting by filed value based on measure like this.

Measure 2 = var a = SUM('FACT TABLE'[value])
return
IF(a>='target table'[Target var],"#01B8AA","#FD625E")

Before that, we can create a target measure as below.

Target var = var maxd = CALCULATE(MAX('target table'[date]),ALLSELECTED('target table'))
return
CALCULATE(MAX('target table'[target]),FILTER('target table','target table'[date] = maxd))

Then we can get the result as below by table visual.

Capture.PNG

Community Support Team _ Frank
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the others find it more quickly.
parry2k
Super User
Super User

@kwpbi  create a measure for color like

KPI Color = IF( [Value] < [Target] , "Red", "Green" )

in conditional formatting, choose field value and select kpi color measure

Subscribe to the @PowerBIHowTo YT channel for an upcoming video on List and Record functions in Power Query!!

Learn Power BI and Fabric - subscribe to our YT channel - Click here: @PowerBIHowTo

If my solution proved useful, I'd be delighted to receive Kudos. When you put effort into asking a question, it's equally thoughtful to acknowledge and give Kudos to the individual who helped you solve the problem. It's a small gesture that shows appreciation and encouragement! ❤

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution. Proud to be a Super User! Appreciate your Kudos 🙂

It took some trial and error, but I got this to work using a series of measures for each scenario. Here is what I came up with for my final code:

WEEK-TAR =
VAR WETAR =
    SUM('Sales Visuals Data'[Weekly Target])
RETURN WETAR

WEEK-COLOR =
VAR WECOL =
    IF(SUM(YTD_Invoices[INVOICEAMOUNT])>='Sales Visuals Data'[WEEK-TAR],"GREEN","RED")
RETURN WECOL

MONTH-TAR =
VAR MOTAR =
    SUM('Sales Visuals Data'[Monthly Target])
RETURN MOTAR

MONTH-COLOR =
VAR MOCOL =
    IF(SUM(YTD_Invoices[INVOICEAMOUNT])>='Sales Visuals Data'[MONTH-TAR],"GREEN","RED")
RETURN MOCOL

2019-YTD-TAR =
VAR YTDTAR =
    SUM('Sales Visuals Data'[2019 YTD Target])
RETURN YTDTAR

YTD-COLOR =
VAR YTDCOL =
    IF(SUM(YTD_Invoices[INVOICEAMOUNT])>='Sales Visuals Data'[2019-YTD-TAR],"GREEN","RED")
RETURN YTDCOL

Thanks again for your help!

Thanks, Parry2k, this is almost what I need... I think we need to take one step further?

The [value] that I am reporting is a sum from a visual-level, relative-date filter. Can you think of a way to make this work when that [value] is not coming from a table?

@kwpbi you can create measure and use that in this if condition. Am I missing something here?

No, I don't think you are... I am new to Power BI and still learning how to use measures as variables and sub-routines (this is so different from Excel and VBA!).

I think you have pointed me in the right direction... time to go home for the day though. I will let you know tomorrow if I need more help.

Thanks again!

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.