Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

kwpbi
Helper II
Helper II

Conditional formatting with rules... base maximum off of table value?

Again, I am trying to do something that should be simple, but I cannot figure out how to do it in Power BI. I am using a gauge-style visual with conditional formatting for the data color. I want to set it up with two rules: for values between zero and the "target value", I want it red. For values above the "target value", I want it green. Seems pretty straight-forward for this type of visual.

However, those fields for min/max seem to only accept numerical inputs. I need to drive these formatting rules with the "target value" from my table, because it changes from day to day.

Is this possible?

Thank you.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
parry2k
Super User
Super User

@kwpbi  create a measure for color like

KPI Color = IF( [Value] < [Target] , "Red", "Green" )

in conditional formatting, choose field value and select kpi color measure

Subscribe to the @PowerBIHowTo YT channel for an upcoming video on List and Record functions in Power Query!!

Learn Power BI and Fabric - subscribe to our YT channel - Click here: @PowerBIHowTo

If my solution proved useful, I'd be delighted to receive Kudos. When you put effort into asking a question, it's equally thoughtful to acknowledge and give Kudos to the individual who helped you solve the problem. It's a small gesture that shows appreciation and encouragement! ❤

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution. Proud to be a Super User! Appreciate your Kudos 🙂
Feel free to email me with any of your BI needs.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
v-frfei-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @kwpbi ,

We can set condiftional formatting by filed value based on measure like this.

Measure 2 = var a = SUM('FACT TABLE'[value])
return
IF(a>='target table'[Target var],"#01B8AA","#FD625E")

Before that, we can create a target measure as below.

Target var = var maxd = CALCULATE(MAX('target table'[date]),ALLSELECTED('target table'))
return
CALCULATE(MAX('target table'[target]),FILTER('target table','target table'[date] = maxd))

Then we can get the result as below by table visual.

Capture.PNG

Community Support Team _ Frank
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the others find it more quickly.
parry2k
Super User
Super User

@kwpbi  create a measure for color like

KPI Color = IF( [Value] < [Target] , "Red", "Green" )

in conditional formatting, choose field value and select kpi color measure

Subscribe to the @PowerBIHowTo YT channel for an upcoming video on List and Record functions in Power Query!!

Learn Power BI and Fabric - subscribe to our YT channel - Click here: @PowerBIHowTo

If my solution proved useful, I'd be delighted to receive Kudos. When you put effort into asking a question, it's equally thoughtful to acknowledge and give Kudos to the individual who helped you solve the problem. It's a small gesture that shows appreciation and encouragement! ❤

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution. Proud to be a Super User! Appreciate your Kudos 🙂

It took some trial and error, but I got this to work using a series of measures for each scenario. Here is what I came up with for my final code:

WEEK-TAR =
VAR WETAR =
    SUM('Sales Visuals Data'[Weekly Target])
RETURN WETAR

WEEK-COLOR =
VAR WECOL =
    IF(SUM(YTD_Invoices[INVOICEAMOUNT])>='Sales Visuals Data'[WEEK-TAR],"GREEN","RED")
RETURN WECOL

MONTH-TAR =
VAR MOTAR =
    SUM('Sales Visuals Data'[Monthly Target])
RETURN MOTAR

MONTH-COLOR =
VAR MOCOL =
    IF(SUM(YTD_Invoices[INVOICEAMOUNT])>='Sales Visuals Data'[MONTH-TAR],"GREEN","RED")
RETURN MOCOL

2019-YTD-TAR =
VAR YTDTAR =
    SUM('Sales Visuals Data'[2019 YTD Target])
RETURN YTDTAR

YTD-COLOR =
VAR YTDCOL =
    IF(SUM(YTD_Invoices[INVOICEAMOUNT])>='Sales Visuals Data'[2019-YTD-TAR],"GREEN","RED")
RETURN YTDCOL

Thanks again for your help!

Thanks, Parry2k, this is almost what I need... I think we need to take one step further?

The [value] that I am reporting is a sum from a visual-level, relative-date filter. Can you think of a way to make this work when that [value] is not coming from a table?

@kwpbi you can create measure and use that in this if condition. Am I missing something here?

No, I don't think you are... I am new to Power BI and still learning how to use measures as variables and sub-routines (this is so different from Excel and VBA!).

I think you have pointed me in the right direction... time to go home for the day though. I will let you know tomorrow if I need more help.

Thanks again!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.