Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Conditional formatting using percentiles in a matrix

Hello,

I was wondering how I could use conditional formatting in a matrix using percentiles for a measure. So, I have a measure broken up by a few dozen people in a matrix. I want the top 25% of these people (in terms of this measure) to be one color, the next 25% to be a different color, and so on.

I've included a picture of what I'm talking about. I just have a regular color scale here, but I want my measure, PPH, to be colored by each quartile as I explained above. Any ideas?

example power bi.PNG

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Anonymous
Not applicable

@kentyler Ahhh I see, thanks for the suggestion! I just realized however that I need to be able to change the values of PPH with a date filter, so I have a slicer on my main page which changes the dates I pull my PPH data from, and thus changes PPH. The date range and thus PPH need to be able to be changed at will. You did however give me some good ideas as to how to move forward, so thank you!

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
kentyler
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

There are 2 functions for calculating the percentile of a value, PERCENTILE.EXC and PERCENTILE.INC. According to a post I found "

both of these formula exclude one number from your series.

1. inc includes first number of the series and excludes last number.
  2. Exc excludes first number of series and includes last number."

I created a calculated column using both measures and got a result of 1,2,3,4 for each value. Unfortunately 

PPHQuartile_INCQuartile_EXC

you can see that in one case 4.04 comes out 3 and in the other 4. You will have to decide whether to use INC or EXC

Here are the 2 calculated columns

Quartile_EXC = VAR QUARTILE_1 = PERCENTILE.EXC(Sheet1[PPH],.25)
VAR QUARTILE_2 = PERCENTILE.EXC(Sheet1[PPH],.5)
VAR QUARTILE_3 = PERCENTILE.EXC(Sheet1[PPH],.75)
VAR CURpph = Sheet1[PPH]
VAR RETURNVAL = IF(CURPPH <= QUARTILE_1,1,IF(CURPPH <= QUARTILE_2,2,IF(CURPPH<=QUARTILE_3,3,IF(CURPPH>QUARTILE_3,4))))
RETURN RETURNVAL

Quartile_INC = VAR QUARTILE_1 = PERCENTILE.INC(Sheet1[PPH],.25)
VAR QUARTILE_2 = PERCENTILE.INC(Sheet1[PPH],.5)
VAR QUARTILE_3 = PERCENTILE.INC(Sheet1[PPH],.75)
VAR CURpph = Sheet1[PPH]
VAR RETURNVAL = IF(CURPPH <= QUARTILE_1,1,IF(CURPPH <= QUARTILE_2,2,IF(CURPPH<=QUARTILE_3,3,IF(CURPPH>QUARTILE_3,4))))
RETURN RETURNVAL

there are the same except for the function used
You can use the conditional formatting of cells in a column to change the color based on the 1,2,3,4 value

Did this post answer your question? Mark it as a solution so others can find it!

Help when you know. Ask when you don't!

Join the conversation at We Talk BI find out more about me at Slow BI

Anonymous
Not applicable

@kentyler Thank you very much for your reply. However, PPH in my case is a measure, not a column in a sheet. What can I do in this case?

If you can post the text of the measure, I think I can show you how to incorporate it.

Did this post answer your question? Mark it as a solution so others can find it!

Help when you know. Ask when you don't!