Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

TM
Advocate I
Advocate I

Conditional formatting - red on negative %, green on positive %

Hello,

I am working on modifiying a report where we have a measure that finds out the change in sales of every product, displayed in percent. I need to format it accordingly: 

Positive change - green

Negative change - red

No change (0) - white

I've tried writing a calculated column with an IF statement that finds out if the change/index is positive, negative or zero and returns the value 1 if positive, -1 if negative and else 0. Unfortunately there's a similar calculated column we're using, and I get the circular dependency error message. 

We don't want any color gradient, but only a defined red, defined green and white. I can't figure this out. 

Any idea of how I can get around the circular dependency or any other suggestion on how to solve this? 

Kind Regards,

TM

7 REPLIES 7
ocabrejo
Frequent Visitor

I believe the right answer you are looking for was explained by this gentleman :

https://youtu.be/smo-eqlWSt4?t=135

Anonymous
Not applicable

Center your formatting on 0 (Minimum).
If you have decimal places then your Max would be diferent.

Conditional Formatting DialogConditional Formatting Dialog

Anonymous
Not applicable

@TM , @ocabrejo  posted the best anwer

sgsukumaran
Resolver II
Resolver II

You can currently do conditonal formatting on individual measures green for +ve(0.0001) red for -ve(-0.0001) and white for 0. But this has to be done for every measure.

KrisW
Helper I
Helper I

FORMAT NEGATIVE NUMBERS RED, POSITIVE GREEN

I went looking for the answer to this question this morning. Did not find the exact answer, but close enough to figure it out. FRUSTRATING that I needed to create another column (per field) I wanted to format this way. SAMPLE:

W2 Index = IF('Product Sales'[W2 Projected Inventory] < 0,-1,1)

Screen Shot 09-13-18 at 01.41 PM.PNG

v-caliao-msft
Employee
Employee

@TM,

Currently, conditional formating in not supported in Power BI since we can't add field value in conditional formatting. And it's not supported to set conditional formatting based on another column. A workaround is that add another column to assign static value and configure conditional formatting on that column. Please refer to the link below to see the details.
https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Desktop/Conditional-formatting-based-on-dynamic-values/m-p/177823#M...

Regards,

Charlie Liao

spuder
Resolver IV
Resolver IV

Hi @TM

could you give us some sample data for that.

I can't see why there should be a circular dependency when you just write a calculated column

ColorIndex = IF([VALUECOLUMN] < 0; -1; IF [VALUECOLUMN]=0;0;1))

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.