Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

djensen
Frequent Visitor

Conditional formatting on a table with one row

Not sure if this is a glitch, or if anyone else has had this problem. Haven't found a solution posted so far:

I'm building a model for perfomance reports, in which indicators are grouped into 1-row tables. For each indicator, there is the amount acheived, the goal, what percent of the goal was achieved, and the resulting grade. The dashboard has several tables, each of which looks something like this:

Training groups opened         
Methodology 1Goal 1Attained 1Result 1Metodology 2Goal 2Attained 2ResultMethodology 3Goal 3Attained 3Result 3
88100%Satisfactory7888%Deficient1612133%Exceeded expectations

Let's say the grade is broken down into 3 categories: 0-99% of goal, 100-119% of goal, 120%+ of goal, and that the goals are fixed. The "Methodology", "Attained" and "Result" cells are all computed measures, and the "Goal" cell is inputted data.

Ideally, I'd want the "Result" cell to have a 3-color conditional formatting scale like Excel, but I know that in Power BI you can't put conditional formatting on a text value, and 3-color scales are not allowed. However, you can set a min and max value, so my workaround is to put this condition on the "Methodology" cell.

The issue is that the conditional formatting doesn't appear unless I add a second row, which for the purposes of this report isn't what I want to do. A workaround is to change the visual to a matrix, add a calculated column such as "Training groups opened = BLANK()", and set this measure as the row field. However, this is cumbersome and isn't as appealing visually.

My question is: if I am doing something wrong, what I need to change; or is this just a bug in the program?

19 REPLIES 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

Does someone suggest an alternative solution to conditional format the single row in a table? Or name the card to show the value's background with different colour

@Anonymous 

I'm not sure what the problem is. Here is an example of both matrix and table visuals with conditional formatting with one row:

Matrix one row.JPG

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!
In doing so, you are also helping me. Thank you!

Proud to be a Super User!
Paul on Linkedin.

Hi, in my first post I was refering to the text color

@Mario1000 

If you are referring to Font conditional formatting, it also works. In the table visual you can condit. format all fields:FOnt.JPG

In doing so, you are also helping me. Thank you!

Paul on Linkedin.

I ended up using the below custom visual.

https://appsource.microsoft.com/en-us/product/power-bi-visuals/wa104380967

Aivars
Frequent Visitor

I’m experiencing the same issue. I apply conditional formatting to the table with several rows it works fine. But as soon as I modify table so that it has only one row, conditional formatting is not displayed.

v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @djensen,

Based on my test in Power BI desktop 2.46.4732.721 64-bit (May 2017), if there is only one row in the table visual, as long as the column has set aggregation or put a measure with aggregate function, Conditional Formatting is available.

In your scenario, please use the same desktop version as ours. If issue persists, please share the .pbix file with us if possible.

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu

Community Support Team _ Qiuyun Yu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Was this ever resolved?

I'm having the same problem with Sep 2019 PowerBI desktop. Any clue?

I ended up downloading the Card with States by OKViz customer visual, made an individual card for each total, connected them together so it looked like a one row table.

It was a bit fiddly but it worked for me purposes.

I also tried individual objects  (like card or card with states...) which indeed works but it really afects the performance. It doesn't make sense that you can not conditional format a single row table. Will this ever be fixed?

Hey @Mario1000 

I used a lot of cards with states and it did make my report a bit slow, but it did the job.  I'd hope they will look to sort this out soon.

Regards

DJ

I m having the same problem, is there a solution here?

Microsoft never replied. If the link I posted above to the workaround isn't working for you, let me know and I'll repost.

Hello Guys,

Any solution for this issue? I'm having the same problem here! Can you post de way arround if Matrix again please?

Thanks @v-qiuyu-msft!

I do have the May 2017 update, and the problem isn't that I can't set conditional formatting, it's that the conditional formatting doesn't appear once set.

The data is confidential, but let me see if I can replicate the problem with some entered data and share that.

@v-qiuyu-msft Here's a sample for you: link

The first page is the example of the table in which the conditional formatting doesn't show up. The second page is the example of the workaround I found, which visually isn't really what I want.

It's a bit simpler than what I'm actually doing, but the basic structure of the databases and the visual is the same.

In reality, there are several tables in the report like the one in the example, with a summary at the top, all with the same format so they read rowwise.

Thanks again!

Hi @djensen@v-qiuyu-msft,

Was there ever any resolution on this? I seem to be experiencing the same issue (conditional formatting being settable but not actually appearing on single row tables). I'm using Version: 2.47.4766.801 64-bit (June 2017).

Thanks!

PR

@PataPaul Unfortunately no. I've been using the matrix workaround I mentioned in my first post, hoping Microsoft will get around to solving the bug.

I'm using the latest version of PowerBI desktop and still having the same error 😞

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.