Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Kranenburg
Regular Visitor

Conditional formatting, numbers including text

I tried to apply conditional formatting to analyze marks (numbers and text combined, see picture below).  In Microsoft Excel it is possible to analyze those combined data (example color green for NVD and color red for the marks below 6,0). In Power BI you have to define with Power BI Query what type of data is in the column (number or text or date, etc.) a combination of text and numbers is not possible. When returning to report and the use of conditional formatting the function does not work. Is there another option to apply conditional formatting to combined data (text/numbers) in one column)?

Conditional formatting.png

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @Kranenburg

Download the file from Dropbox. Hope this helps.

Download pbix file

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi,

There is an alternative way you can get your desired solution.

1. Create a measure using "New measure" option and within that, you define your colour i.e. green for NVD and colour red for the marks below 6,0 etc.
  2. In conditional Formating select "Find Rule" option from the drop-down and In based on field drop down select the measure which you have created.
    I have attached pbix file for your reference.

Download pbix file

I couldn't download the pbix file because I have no Google account, can you send it to me by e-mail or drobox. I found the "New measure" option but I do not know which algorithm to type. Measure = Format colour green if "NVD" and Format colour red if marks < 6,0. I hope you can place the algorithm in the discussion. I also found the https://docs.microsoft.com/nl-nl/power-bi/desktop-tutorial-create-measures, some examples in Dutch but the formula explanation of Conditional formatting is not sufficient.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @Kranenburg

Download the file from Dropbox. Hope this helps.

Download pbix file

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.