Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

savulesc
Helper I
Helper I

Conditional formatting just for some cells in a matrix

I have a matrix with this structure:

NAME      Program    Actual

Kpi1R166.5
Kpi1R243.5
Kpi1R370.9
Kpi2R12
Kpi3R22
Kpi4R33

Name and Program are columns, Actual is a measure.

How can I use conditional formatting for the Actual field only for the first 3 cells (when NAME = Kpi1)?, so, if ACTUAL > 80% -> green , <75 -> red, between 75-80 no color.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
jdbuchanan71
Super User
Super User

Add a measure to set the formatting color and check for the KPI1 row like this.

Format Color = 
SWITCH ( 
    TRUE(),
    SELECTEDVALUE ( YourTable[Name] ) = "KPI1",
    SWITCH(
        TRUE,
        [Actual] <= 75, "Red",
        [Actual] >= 80, "Green"
    )
)

Then apply that measure as the background color to the value:

2022-09-25_13-04-37.jpg

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
jdbuchanan71
Super User
Super User

Can you post your .pbix file (load it to drop box and share the link)?  My formula works in my test.

2022-09-25_14-37-16.jpg

I found the issue. For some reason i had to put <= "65%" in the measure. Thanks for your help.

parry2k
Super User
Super User

@jdbuchanan71 Thanks for correcting. I missed the KPI name condition but you cannot apply conditional format on a column on the row in the matrix visual, visual still need to be changed to table visual

Follow us on LinkedIn and YouTube.gif to our YouTube channel

I would  Kudos if my solution helped. 👉 If you can spend time posting the question, you can also make effort to give Kudos to whoever helped to solve your problem. It is a token of appreciation!

Visit us at https://perytus.com, your one-stop shop for Power BI-related projects/training/consultancy.

Subscribe to the @PowerBIHowTo YT channel for an upcoming video on List and Record functions in Power Query!!

Learn Power BI and Fabric - subscribe to our YT channel - Click here: @PowerBIHowTo

If my solution proved useful, I'd be delighted to receive Kudos. When you put effort into asking a question, it's equally thoughtful to acknowledge and give Kudos to the individual who helped you solve the problem. It's a small gesture that shows appreciation and encouragement! ❤

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution. Proud to be a Super User! Appreciate your Kudos 🙂
Feel free to email me with any of your BI needs.

jdbuchanan71
Super User
Super User

Add a measure to set the formatting color and check for the KPI1 row like this.

Format Color = 
SWITCH ( 
    TRUE(),
    SWITCH(
        TRUE,
        [Actual] <= 75, "Red",
        [Actual] >= 80, "Green"
    )
)

Then apply that measure as the background color to the value:

2022-09-25_13-04-37.jpg

This is not working for me, all the rows are green even if they should not.

If your [Actual] measure is a % then you would apply it at .75 and .8 like this.

Format Color = 
SWITCH ( 
    TRUE(),
    SWITCH(
        TRUE,
        [Actual] <= .75, "Red",
        [Actual] >= .80, "Green"
    )
)

I tried that already, it's still the same.

parry2k
Super User
Super User

@savulesc you cannot use conditional formatting on a column used in the rows but if you are using table visual, you can apply conditional formatting on the column on a row. Add a new measure for conditional formatting and then use table visual and apply field value for Name column using the color measure

Color KPI = 
VAR __actual = [Actual Measure]
RETURN
SWITCH ( TRUE(),
   __actual > .80, "Green",
   __actual < .75, "Red"
)

Follow us on LinkedIn and YouTube.gif to our YouTube channel

I would  Kudos if my solution helped. 👉 If you can spend time posting the question, you can also make effort to give Kudos to whoever helped to solve your problem. It is a token of appreciation!

Visit us at https://perytus.com, your one-stop shop for Power BI-related projects/training/consultancy.

Subscribe to the @PowerBIHowTo YT channel for an upcoming video on List and Record functions in Power Query!!

Learn Power BI and Fabric - subscribe to our YT channel - Click here: @PowerBIHowTo

If my solution proved useful, I'd be delighted to receive Kudos. When you put effort into asking a question, it's equally thoughtful to acknowledge and give Kudos to the individual who helped you solve the problem. It's a small gesture that shows appreciation and encouragement! ❤

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution. Proud to be a Super User! Appreciate your Kudos 🙂
Feel free to email me with any of your BI needs.

I didn't really understand your response, but I don't want to use conditional formatting on the Name column , because that doesn't help me at all.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.