Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Conditional formatting colour for column chart

Is it possible to make a column chart with measure as the value to have conditional formatting? This is how it is now.image.png

Thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
SteveCampbell
Memorable Member
Memorable Member

If you have something in the legend field, you cannot use formatting.

However, I think from the picture, that you do not have anything in the axis field of your column chart.

Please put something in the axis, and check again. It can be a disassociated table with a single value if really needed. When applying custom formatting, make sure you hover your mouse over the ellipsis to make it show.

Otherwise, I suggest if you are only displaying one value, you could use a CARD visual, and format the background using the same conditional formatting found in background attributes.

If you want to show the target other options could be a KPI, GUAGE, or the custom visual CARD WITH STATES by sqlbi.

Love hearing about Power BI tips, jobs and news?
I love to share about these - connect with me!

Stay up to date on  linkedin-logo.png
Read my blogs on  powerbi.tips_.png

Remember to spread knowledge in the community when you can! tu.png

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution! Proud to be a Super User!

Connect with me!
Stay up to date on  
Read my blogs on  

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11
SteveCampbell
Memorable Member
Memorable Member

If you have something in the legend field, you cannot use formatting.

However, I think from the picture, that you do not have anything in the axis field of your column chart.

Please put something in the axis, and check again. It can be a disassociated table with a single value if really needed. When applying custom formatting, make sure you hover your mouse over the ellipsis to make it show.

Otherwise, I suggest if you are only displaying one value, you could use a CARD visual, and format the background using the same conditional formatting found in background attributes.

If you want to show the target other options could be a KPI, GUAGE, or the custom visual CARD WITH STATES by sqlbi.

Love hearing about Power BI tips, jobs and news?
I love to share about these - connect with me!

Stay up to date on  linkedin-logo.png
Read my blogs on  powerbi.tips_.png

Remember to spread knowledge in the community when you can! tu.png

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution! Proud to be a Super User!

Connect with me!
Stay up to date on  
Read my blogs on  

PattemManohar
Community Champion
Community Champion

@Anonymous  Did you tried this way ? If not, please do and post any questions.

image.png

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a PBI Community Champion

Anonymous
Not applicable

@PattemManohar 

Infortunately I am not getting a conditional formatting button. This is how it looks like for meimage.png

@Anonymous  There will be a small ellipse button on the right side as shown below (it looks like hidden, may be due to the light background as well)

image.png

Anonymous
Not applicable

@PattemManohar 

Unfortunately I do not have the button. I clicked near that area many times to see if there is one but there isn't. Is there another way?

image.png

Anonymous
Not applicable

What version of Power BI you're using? Please upgrade to the latest.
Cheers!

@Anonymous I guess his PBI version will be recent version, as we can see light background in the Screenshot of the Format pane (which was the update in recent releases)

Anyway, @Anonymous please confirm which version of PBI desktop you are using.

@Anonymous  Here is another screenshot which might help you...

image.png

Anonymous
Not applicable

image.png @PattemManohar  I looked in data colours but there is no button. What would be another solution?

@PattemManohar wrote:

@Anonymous  Here is another screenshot which might help you...

@Anonymous If you can't see the conditional formatting (not sure why you are not able to see that option, hopefully you have the updated PBI Desktop version) then you can't have dynamic colouring for your column bars. But if you want to change to some other colour (which will be static) then you can easily do (but that is not a feasible solution). I strongly suggest you to find why you are not able to see that feature.... Also, enable all the preview features in the options and settings of PBI Desktop.... Try all the way !

Hope you are checking that under “Data Colours” as per the screenshot in above post.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.