Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

iamhafsa
Frequent Visitor

Conditional formatting by row in matrix

I want to color individual rows differently based on the row header in matrix (It's not alternating rows). Is that possible in Power BI?

Also, I need to format cells based on their value. Eg: If a cell's value is -500, I would like to display it as (500) in red color, i.e., I want to show the negative values in bracket with their minus sign dropped and in red color.

Any help would be highly appreciated!

7 REPLIES 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

You can do it by using Row subtotals, set the color on values background

jack_melhorn

Hey, 

Best way to format by row in a matrix is to create a new column in your data source which applies a numeric value to each header type that you would like to have highlighted. You can then use the conditional formatting setting to highlight based on this new column. For example if you want to highlight all of the rows that you labeled as "1" you can go to conditional formatting>background color>advanced controls>format by "Rules". Change your "Based on field" to the column you just created and put in rules such as If value "is" 1 then highlight....

Hope this helps.

caspero5
Advocate I
Advocate I

Please all discourage your companies to use this software. Microsoft thinks that people are the beta testers of their applications. You cannot change the colour of certain rows. You cannot pass the slicer parameters from other pages. This is one big joke. You waste time of your clients in order to save on real beta testers. Sorry to say that but I am coming back to SSRS which at least is stable and you can everything you want.

Don't know when it was introduced, but now it is possible to pass parameters and slicers between pages...

caspero5
Advocate I
Advocate I

How you can even work in this software? How you can release such a pre-alpha to people... I will definitely go back to SSRS and will encourage the company to drop that software before it is too late. You cannot pass the parameters from the slicers located at other pages. You cannot change colour of certain rows. Sorry to say that but Microsoft it is kind of joke which think that clients are your testers...
BeemsC
Resolver III
Resolver III

Besides Font color scales for all rows, i dont think its possible to color each indivudual row.
I think this solution also help for your second problem.
give a minus (optional neutral) and max and choose colors.
The data will change accordingly.

It's under conditional formatting -> Font color scales -> (Advanced controls)

Thank you @BeemsC!

I hope that Power BI includes this functionality soon.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.