Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

tmul
Frequent Visitor

Conditional column merge

Hi,
I have the following problem of merging columns.

I have a dataset with around 70 columns. It is a result from a merge with another dataset and some columns contain the same data. I would like to combine the columns which show the same data into one column in an easy and fast way.

There are some conditions, as one column has the role of a master.

So the condition to fill the new column is that the master column (say column A) should always be used, except the case, the column A is empty, then the column A* should be used.

Are there any tips and tricks to do to in an efficient way?

Example:

Master column Acolumn A*result column
5null5
null88

Previously, I used If else statements to achieve it but it seems to be not very efficient if I need to do that for 20 columns?

I read that some are using the unpivot and pivot functions, but I am not sure how to use it, since the sort of the column headers would not lead to any logic.

Any ideas are highly appreciated.
Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
CNENFRNL
Community Champion
Community Champion

Use Table.CombineColumns() to achieve your goal.

let
    Source = Table.FromRows(Json.Document(Binary.Decompress(Binary.FromText("i45WMlXSUVKK1YlWMgMyzMAsEyDLHMwCMiyUYmMB", BinaryEncoding.Base64), Compression.Deflate)), let _t = ((type nullable text) meta [Serialized.Text = true]) in type table [#"Master column A" = _t, #"Sub column A" = _t]),
    #"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(Source,{{"Master column A", Int64.Type}, {"Sub column A", Int64.Type}}),
    #"Combined Columns" = Table.CombineColumns(#"Changed Type", {"Master column A", "Sub column A"}, each if _{0} is null then _{1} else _{0}, "Combined column A")
in
    #"Combined Columns"

Thanks to the great efforts by MS engineers to simplify syntax of DAX! Most beginners are SUCCESSFULLY MISLED to think that they could easily master DAX; but it turns out that the intricacy of the most frequently used RANKX() is still way beyond their comprehension!

DAX is simple, but NOT EASY!

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
tmul
Frequent Visitor

Thank you all for the help! I looked at all the proposed solutions and based on the test, the solution from @CNENFRNL fits best, although if it means I need to write this line of code with the Table.CombineColumns around 20 times... 
But thanks and have a great day!

CNENFRNL
Community Champion
Community Champion

Use Table.CombineColumns() to achieve your goal.

let
    Source = Table.FromRows(Json.Document(Binary.Decompress(Binary.FromText("i45WMlXSUVKK1YlWMgMyzMAsEyDLHMwCMiyUYmMB", BinaryEncoding.Base64), Compression.Deflate)), let _t = ((type nullable text) meta [Serialized.Text = true]) in type table [#"Master column A" = _t, #"Sub column A" = _t]),
    #"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(Source,{{"Master column A", Int64.Type}, {"Sub column A", Int64.Type}}),
    #"Combined Columns" = Table.CombineColumns(#"Changed Type", {"Master column A", "Sub column A"}, each if _{0} is null then _{1} else _{0}, "Combined column A")
in
    #"Combined Columns"

Thanks to the great efforts by MS engineers to simplify syntax of DAX! Most beginners are SUCCESSFULLY MISLED to think that they could easily master DAX; but it turns out that the intricacy of the most frequently used RANKX() is still way beyond their comprehension!

DAX is simple, but NOT EASY!

Payeras_BI
Super User
Super User

Hi @tmul ,

In PQ editor you could try something like this.

Payeras_BI_0-1626964170176.png

List.First(List.Select({[Master], [Column1], [Column2], [Column3],[Column4]}, each _ <> null))

If this post answered your question, please mark it as a solution to help other users find useful content.
Kudos are another nice way to acknowledge those who tried to help you.

J. Payeras
Mallorca, Spain

Sorry @tmul - I misread your post and thought you needed a COALESCE type solution for ~70 columns. Below doesn't seem like what you are looking for. I mostly decided to 'try' to improve the formula when there were more than just a few columns (e.g. ~70).

@Payeras_BI - Try this instead of declaring all the column names:

= Table.AddColumn(#"Changed Type", "Custom", each List.First(List.RemoveFirstN(Record.ToList(_), each _ = null),null))

image.png

and also the opposite:

= Table.AddColumn(#"Changed Type", "Custom", each List.Last(List.RemoveLastN(Record.ToList(_), each _ = null),null))

image.png

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!
Did my answers help arrive at a solution? Give it a kudos by clicking the Thumbs Up!

Proud to be a Super User!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.