cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ovl Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Conditional column - cannot convert the value null to type text

Hi,

I am trying to add a conditional column that shows "complete" when XYZ columns contain a value (0 included), and "not complete" when any of XYZ columns contains a blank cell (null).

I have added a conditional column as follows:

If [columnX] equals [null] then [not complete]

Else if [columnY] equals [null] then [not complete]

Else if [columnZ] equals [null] then [not complete]

Otherwise ["complete"]

The funny thing is that the conditional columns works as expected in the query editor but when I close&apply the query, it shows the error "cannot convert the value null to type text". How can I check if a cell that contains a number is blank if the value "null" is considered as a text type by the operator?

Any ideas will be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

3 REPLIES 3
ovl Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Conditional column check for blank- cannot convert the value null to type text

Hi,

I am trying to add a conditional column that shows "complete" when XYZ columns contain a value (0 included), and "not complete" when any of XYZ columns contains a blank cell (null).

I have added a conditional column as follows:

If [columnX] equals [null] then [not complete]

Else if [columnY] equals [null] then [not complete]
Else if [columnZ] equals [null] then [not complete]

Otherwise ["complete"]

The funny thing is that the conditional columns works as expected in the query editor but when I close&apply the query, it shows the error "cannot convert the value null to type text". How can I check if a cell that contains a number is blank if the value "null" is considered as a text type by the operator?

Any ideas will be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Community Support Team
Community Support Team

Re: Conditional column - cannot convert the value null to type text

Hi @ovl,

Can you share the formula here please? Did this happen after you added the column?

Best Regards,

Dale

Community Support Team _ Dale
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
ovl Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Re: Conditional column - cannot convert the value null to type text

Hi Dale,

Thanks for quick reply!

Here is a screenshot of what I was trying to explain:Capture.PNG

As you can see below, when I click "ok", the column is added and works as expected (in the query editor). However, when I close and apply the query, it shows me the error "we cannot convert the value null to type text" and the column is not added.

Thanks for your help!

Oriol